XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
zer0

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by zer0 »

KyferEz wrote:From my experiences with Norton products on hundreds of computers throughout the last 10 years (and it's gotten worse, not better), I'm willing to bet money it's related to Norton AV. And no, you cannot kill Norton's processes to stop it. It has apps, services, and drivers installed and running that must be removed, as all AV programs do. You first have to uninstall Norton, then run Sysinternal's Autoruns and kill the rest of the Norton autoloading crap because it won't fully uninstall itself. Then, and only then, can you say it's not your AV.
Let's not go too off-topic here. Norton's NIS 09 & 10 are very, very good -- way better than previous instalments. You can also use a removal tool to uninstall it and get rid of all the traces.

If we can definitively establish that Norton is the culprit and gather some technical data (name of the function that XYplorer calls to delete, etc) then a support call should be raised with Symantec. Once that's done, PM me with all the details and I'll try to see what can be done.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

Redbeard

Post by Redbeard »

KyferEz wrote:From my experiences with Norton products on hundreds of computers throughout the last 10 years (and it's gotten worse, not better), I'm willing to bet money it's related to Norton AV.
I'd be tickled to take that bet. I have the same problem and I don't use any Norton products.

KyferEz

Post by KyferEz »

I'd be tickled to take that bet. I have the same problem and I don't use any Norton products.
Ok, in that case I'll resend my bet, assuming you have NEVER had Norton installed on that installation of Windows, or have manually removed all the left-behind autoruns.

I will however stand by my critique of Norton products. They're nowhere near as good as the FREE options out there. I'd say more, but I'm already too far OT.

DorothyFan1

Post by DorothyFan1 »

Unless I'm mistaken...this thead makes me afraid to delete any files using XYplorer until this topic is dealt with.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

DorothyFan1 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken...this thead makes me afraid to delete any files using XYplorer until this topic is dealt with.
It would seem that users here are either having the issue or never having it so until you have a problem, I wouldn't be that concerned...maybe cause I'm on W2K, but I've never had it occur.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
DorothyFan1 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken...this thead makes me afraid to delete any files using XYplorer until this topic is dealt with.
It would seem that users here are either having the issue or never having it so until you have a problem, I wouldn't be that concerned...maybe cause I'm on W2K, but I've never had it occur.
It also doesn't actually affect the delete.

The delete itself happens almost instantaneously, but for those affected XY then becomes un-responsive for a bit until the shell is finished enumerating the recycle bin.

If you empty the recycle bin often, don't delete many large trees of folders, or don't use whatever programs are causing the enumeration to be so slow, you shouldn't even notice that this is happening.

DorothyFan1

Post by DorothyFan1 »

Can some one explain the meaning of this term "enumeration"? This issue seems to be about this word and until I understand the underlying meaning I won't understand why there should be a problem with this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DorothyFan1 wrote:Can some one explain the meaning of this term "enumeration"? This issue seems to be about this word and until I understand the underlying meaning I won't understand why there should be a problem with this.
I believe that Windows reorganizes the database that's underlying the Recycle Bin. When the Recycle Bin is very full or very complex (deeply nested folders have been deleted) this takes a notable bit of time.

That's no reason at all not to delete anything, of course.

carmenm

Post by carmenm »

admin wrote:
DorothyFan1 wrote:Can some one explain the meaning of this term "enumeration"? This issue seems to be about this word and until I understand the underlying meaning I won't understand why there should be a problem with this.
I believe that Windows reorganizes the database that's underlying the Recycle Bin. When the Recycle Bin is very full or very complex (deeply nested folders have been deleted) this takes a notable bit of time.

Ok but why is it only hanging XY and not windows explorer? Could it be that the "delete thingy" is done in another thread?
Wow just thought of something! And i think it might be the reason. I dont have any explorer.exe process running! I mean i use Emerge desktop with XY so i dont have any explorer.exe running. So may be when i delete a file, an explorer.exe process is launched which could take some time. What do you think?

PS: to all others discussing about Norton and stating that it IS the cause of the problem. Please stop, i already said before in that thread that i dont and never had Norton!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

carmenm wrote:
admin wrote:

Ok but why is it only hanging XY and not windows explorer? Could it be that the "delete thingy" is done in another thread?
Wow just thought of something! And i think it might be the reason. I dont have any explorer.exe process running! I mean i use Emerge desktop with XY so i dont have any explorer.exe running. So may be when i delete a file, an explorer.exe process is launched which could take some time. What do you think?
Might be.

I'm sure that multi-threading is the solution (I think I said that somewhere above). It's on my list...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

What's causing substantial delay for me is that the Shell polls the contents of $RECYCLE.BIN across all drives upon deletion and emptying of RB. What's worsening the problem is that by the time shell needs to poll, my external HDDs have spun down due to inactivity and have to spin back up again just for this polling.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:What's causing substantial delay for me is that the Shell polls the contents of $RECYCLE.BIN across all drives upon deletion and emptying of RB. What's worsening the problem is that by the time shell needs to poll, my external HDDs have spun down due to inactivity and have to spin back up again just for this polling.
This happens as well when you delete using Explorer, right? Only that Explorer uses a separate thread for it so it does not block you.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:This happens as well when you delete using Explorer, right? Only that Explorer uses a separate thread for it so it does not block you.
Yes, correct. I have not experienced that "Not Responding" state with Explorer in the same circumstances.
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:This happens as well when you delete using Explorer, right? Only that Explorer uses a separate thread for it so it does not block you.
Yes, correct. I have not experienced that "Not Responding" state with Explorer in the same circumstances.
OK. It's all a clear picture to me now, and I know what to do. Just need to find the time... :)

One thing I can already say: This fix will happen together with "XYcopy" (called "Super-Fast File Copy" on the roadmap), and it will also add the possibility to integrate other copy handlers like teracopy etc. In 2010 XYplorer will become the No.1 copy machine of the planet!

KyferEz

Post by KyferEz »

admin wrote:"XYcopy" (called "Super-Fast File Copy" on the roadmap) ... In 2010 XYplorer will become the No.1 copy machine of the planet!
CAN'T WAIT!!!! I've been agonizing for months (Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating) waiting and hoping you would get to that! I hate window's built-in file delete/move/copy dialog and teracopy doesn't work very well for my usage and supercopier doesn't work at all on Vista64.