XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
carmenm

XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by carmenm » 27 Apr 2009 10:27

Hi,

I have quite an annoying problem with XYPlorer. I start XYPlorer, then i trry to delete a file. XYplorer will hang for about a minute, then the file will be deleted. From that moment on file deletion are immediate. Sometimes it comes back and i dont really know why.
For information, i dont have the deletion confirmation dialog, i use a lot of network drives, but my deletion problems occurs on my local drives as well. I dont have any explorer.exe process running, and the problem happens on all my computers.

Can someone help? Am i the only one having this problem?

EDIT: Just found out that it doesnt always happen on a new xyplorer launch. So i cant really give the exact procedure to reproduce it :s but it s really really annoying when you are working...

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49770
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by admin » 30 Apr 2009 14:51

I remember this problem from Win95, but have not seen it in later OS. It's certainly nothing specific to XY, so I cannot fix it.
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

Plastic
Posts: 36
Joined: 08 Sep 2008 00:18

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by Plastic » 03 Sep 2009 15:05

I am having a similar problem :
When I delete files/folders in XYplorer, it hangs (menu bar goes blank, can't do anything, etc.), sometimes up to 1 minute.
I can go delete this file or any other in MS Explorer while XY is hung without any problem.

In case anyone else is having this problem, I will enumerate the specific conditions of my case :
- XYplorer 8.30.0004 (latest beta)
- WinXP Pro SP2, French version
- Power Users profile (NOT Administrator)
- TortoiseSVN 1.4 running
- Symantec Antivirus 10.1 running
- Running XY on a USB stick

If anyone with the same problem can see something similar, maybe this could help resolve the issue ?


Regards

carmenm

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by carmenm » 05 Oct 2009 17:17

I need to bump this problem because i am now seeing it on 5 machines total! The 5 machines are completely different. Not the same os (3xps, 2win7, 4 32bit and 1 64bit), not the same network(2 on local network, 3 on work domain)

It s quite a strange bug as it seems there is something relating with cache.
Let me explain.
Let s say i just opened XY and try to delete a file, it hangs XY for at least 20sec then the file is deleted.
If i immediately delete another file, it occurs at once.

If i wait a bit (what does it means i dont really know, very hard to define, 1min, 10min, a restart, a computer restart, ... i dont know :s) it takes 20sec once again.

Once thing i found out is that if the icons overlays option is disable, it "seems" to take a little less time. But once again no real way to be sure.

It s really an annoying bug as XY hangs.
I also know it s a really rticky bug for you as i cant really give a step-by-step way to reproduce it. I am sorry about that!

I will try to investigate more about it, especially the difference between the computer on local network and the ones on work domain as i think it s network related. It really look like a ping wait if you know what i mean.

Hope i can help finding what causes that.

Martin

serendipity
Posts: 3355
Joined: 07 May 2007 18:14
Location: NJ/NY

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by serendipity » 05 Oct 2009 18:05

carmenm wrote:I need to bump this problem because i am now seeing it on 5 machines total! The 5 machines are completely different. Not the same os (3xps, 2win7, 4 32bit and 1 64bit), not the same network(2 on local network, 3 on work domain)Martin
It could be related to your config. A smal lchecklist to be sure:

1) Have you looked at the FAQ for some tweaking?
2) Do you delete from keyboard or mouse?
3) To be sure that XY is the culprit, download a fresh copy of XY and put it in a folder and start up XY and do the same action you mentioned. Do you see the same problem?

carmenm

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by carmenm » 05 Oct 2009 18:58

I ll try everything you said. Thanks for all of that.

I tried on another computer (local network, no overlay software like tortoise) and this time it doesnt seem to happen!

I ll investigate more at work tomorrow

carmenm

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by carmenm » 06 Oct 2009 11:10

I tested with a fresh new install of XY and i have the same problem here at work.
I even apply all that is advised in the FAQ. Still happens on any kind of file.
I even tried with the info tab off because when on the info tab it computes dir size for the list.

Any idea?

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49770
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by admin » 06 Oct 2009 15:18

carmenm wrote:I tested with a fresh new install of XY and i have the same problem here at work.
I even apply all that is advised in the FAQ. Still happens on any kind of file.
I even tried with the info tab off because when on the info tab it computes dir size for the list.

Any idea?
Virus scanner?
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

carmenm

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by carmenm » 06 Oct 2009 16:06

just tested without our virus scanner. It s the same.

But really yesterday on another computer at home i just couldnt get it!
The only difference i see is the network. Here i have mapped networks that i dont have at home. For the rest at home i have all the settings that could slow down XY.
So i am quite stuck here :s

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49770
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by admin » 06 Oct 2009 16:21

carmenm wrote:just tested without our virus scanner. It s the same.

But really yesterday on another computer at home i just couldnt get it!
The only difference i see is the network. Here i have mapped networks that i dont have at home. For the rest at home i have all the settings that could slow down XY.
So i am quite stuck here :s
Difficult. I know this behavior from Win95 but never saw it under XP. The reason at those days was the shell file operation API which does a lot of background jobs when called the first time.

I'm 99% sure that the delay is inside the shell call (i.e. it simply does not return) and I cannot see what I could do here. Of course, if you say that only XY has that problem, I should be able to do something. Just dunno what...

PS: network is a good guess. Because with today's machines there is not much that can take several seconds with the exception of network delays.
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

carmenm

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by carmenm » 06 Oct 2009 16:36

admin wrote:
carmenm wrote:just tested without our virus scanner. It s the same.

But really yesterday on another computer at home i just couldnt get it!
The only difference i see is the network. Here i have mapped networks that i dont have at home. For the rest at home i have all the settings that could slow down XY.
So i am quite stuck here :s
Difficult. I know this behavior from Win95 but never saw it under XP. The reason at those days was the shell file operation API which does a lot of background jobs when called the first time.

I'm 99% sure that the delay is inside the shell call (i.e. it simply does not return) and I cannot see what I could do here. Of course, if you say that only XY has that problem, I should be able to do something. Just dunno what...

PS: network is a good guess. Because with today's machines there is not much that can take several seconds with the exception of network delays.
Just to go with what you say, on my win7 machines i am not sure i can reproduce it anymore.
In fact my machines at home were under xpa few days ago and i am almost certain i had seen the problem then. But now they are under win7 and i cant reproduce it (even if i spent a lot less time on them than on my work machine) which would go with your assumption. I ll try to install my XY on a win7 machine which is on our network and see if i can reproduce the problem.

As you said i dont have the problem in the explorer, only in XY.
Now about the network, i want to mention that all the machines, on which i can absolutely reproduce the problem, are on the same work network!

carmenm

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by carmenm » 07 Oct 2009 11:18

I may hae found out what causes it.
I unchecked "auto-refresh" ("in network location" was already unchecked) and it doesnt seem to be happening anymore.

Is that normal? Can anyone reproduce it? Or is it related to my network?

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 49770
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by admin » 07 Oct 2009 12:30

carmenm wrote:I may hae found out what causes it.
I unchecked "auto-refresh" ("in network location" was already unchecked) and it doesnt seem to be happening anymore.

Is that normal? Can anyone reproduce it? Or is it related to my network?
OK, that was interesting. I changed something. Let's see whether it works better next time. (Still wondering why it's only you :? )
FAQ | XY News RSS | XY Twitter | Stay home! 🎸 Or wear a mask! 😷

Redbeard
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 Oct 2009 04:21

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by Redbeard » 08 Oct 2009 04:25

It's not just carmenm, I'm having the same trouble. And for me it's new with version 8.50. I'll try the refresh thing and see if it helps.

carmenm

Re: XYPlorer hang on file deletion

Post by carmenm » 08 Oct 2009 08:48

Ok i am sorry to tell that it is still happening.
It s really really hard to find the way to reproduce it. Something i even think that it is related to inactivity.
By that i mean not having done a delete in a long time:s I know it s really strange ...

Post Reply