Right click slow/delay

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
dkump

Right click slow/delay

Post by dkump »

I'm having a problem with right-clicking being slow. I notice it especially when right-clicking on my C: drive in the folder tree. I click on the C: drive and the pop up menu takes 5 seconds to display. I notice it especially bad the first time I right click after launching XYplorer. Subsequent clicks are relatively fast. If I close XYplorer and open a new window, it's slow again the first time. I tried it in Windows Explorer, and it's always fast. I can't find any XYplorer setting that could be causing this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Right click slow/delay

Post by admin »

1) Which menu are you showing, 32-bit or 64-bit?

2) Which commands are you interested in in that menu?

dkump

Post by dkump »

Thanks for the reply. I'm using 64 bit context menu. I'm typically interested in the Properties command but also Open With (Winzip, Notepad, etc.). Below are my 64 bit settings:
- Show the real System32 directory (checked)
- Show the 64-bit context menu (checked)
- Show the 64-bit IFilters for content search (unchecked)
- Fall back to IFilters of the other bitness (unchecked)
- Use 64-bit preview handlers for preview (unchecked)
- Fall back to preview handlers of the other bitness (checked)
- Open files from 64-bit process

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, there is not much I can do here. 5 secs is extreme. It's probably one of the shell extensions that takes the time. But interesting that the same menu is fast with Explorer. I'd like to know how it does it.

dkump

Post by dkump »

Windows File Explorer is instant. No delay at all. XYplorer is 5 seconds, but when doing it the first time after opening a new instance. Subsequent times are quick but not as instant is Windows Explorer. It doesn't matter what folder I right-click, it's slow. What I notice is when I right click on a folder, it does nothing for 4+ seconds and then the folder selected flickers (un-highlights and highlights) and then the context menu pops up.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not normal. Is this a new problem?

dkump

Post by dkump »

It's been happening for months. Not sure when it started. I've tried several new versions of XYplorer and none of them fixed it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Same problem with the 32-bit menu?

dkump

Post by dkump »

I think I figured it out. The slowness is caused by Bitdefender. If I disable antivirus or add an exception for XYplorer, the problem goes away. I've opened a ticket with Bitdefender. Neither workaround is acceptable, but I'll have to see what they say.

Horst

Post by Horst »

dkump wrote: 28 Nov 2022 07:18 I think I figured it out. The slowness is caused by Bitdefender. If I disable antivirus or add an exception for XYplorer, the problem goes away. I've opened a ticket with Bitdefender. Neither workaround is acceptable, but I'll have to see what they say.
They will definitely not change anything for you.
If you read the forum you will see that we suggest to make exceptions for XY in your Anti-Virus tool.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

The whole XY folder has been excluded from AV on my system ever since and it has never caused any problems.
Remember, excluding XY doesn't exclude the data you view with it, just its own exes.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

dkump

Post by dkump »

I wanted to resurrect this as the problem continues. I've also had problems where the right-click menu won't appear at all. When I right click on a folder, the hourglass spins for a second and then stops. No context menu pops up. I tried over and over and at one point, I got a pop up message that a script had an issue running. Unfortunately I lost the message and can't reproduce. I assume this is an XYplorer script. When you right click, does it run a script? I don't appear to have any script configured to run that way. I also noticed the problem is better if I turn off the 64-bit context menu. It's also not a problem with CTRl-right-click. Are there other possible XYplorer settings that could be causing this? Thanks.

highend

Post by highend »

Does it get better when you uncheck:
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | [x] Custom items in the context menu

Please test that with the 32 and 64 bit menus (first and ongoing clicks)
Uncheck:
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | [x] Show the 64-bit context menu
and use the "Show 64-bit Context Menu" entry (inside the 32-bit menu)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

dkump

Post by dkump »

Thanks for the tips. The problem is definitely with
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | [x] Show the 64-bit context menu
The slowness and not getting any context menu to pop-up seems to be caused by that setting. At one point, I even got the error:
XY64ctxmenu.exe - Fatal error
The first argument did not contain an existing XYplorer hWnd...
Abotrted!
When I unchecked "show 64-bit context menu", the problem went away.

Even with this in unchecked, there's a slight delay the first time I right-click to get the context menu. Subsequent right-clicks are instant. Wish it was always instant because I tend to open new windows instead of using the same window all day.

By the way, you mention 32-bit and 64-bit context menus and also a 64-bit menu in your path for Shell Integration. I don't see exactly what you're describing in my settings. I don't know if we have a different version (old vs. latest) or 32-bit vs. 64-bit version of XYplorer. I'm attaching my Shell Integration settings. Curious if my settings are what you recommend.

Bottom line, the 64-bit context menu is the problem. Is there any combination of settings that makes that work (i.e. shows 64-bit context menu by default when right clicking and not slow/hanging)? Does this need to be reported as a bug to the developers?
Attachments
ShellIntegration.png
ShellIntegration.png (39.65 KiB) Viewed 117 times
XYplorer Error.png
XYplorer Error.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 117 times

dkump

Post by dkump »

This definitely seems to be a bug. I can't find a way to officially report it. Is there a hidden link to report a bug or does someone monitor issues in the forum and report them to the developers?