PaperFolder and deleting

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Daniel0312

PaperFolder and deleting

Post by Daniel0312 »

Hi,
I have a paperfolder in a tab.
The option "On Delete Remove Items from Paper Folder" is checked.
1- Pressing Del key shows a confirmation dialog --> OK
2- Selecting Delete from the context menu:
* clears the list (big fright)
* deletes file from disk (not from paper folder)
Refreshing the list shows back the paper folder contents (except of course the deleted file).
PaperFolders are so much like real ones that IMHO, selecting Delete from the context menu shouldn't act differently from pressing the Del key.
OTOH, using Shift+Del shows a will to do more, and deleting the file from disk isn't unexepected.
Daniel
Windows7 SP1 x64 / XY latest stable

eil

Re: PaperFolder and deleting

Post by eil »

For pity that's not a bug, but natural behaviour of PF. As PF is XY internal function, only using internal menu Delete variant honours "Remove not delete" option, and when you use R-Click context menu Delete - that is system one, so it actually makes delete. Though i observed same blank-blink after delete operations(when whole PF in view becomes "empty" till manual refresh), and This is probably a bug/visual glitch.

I'd wish PF had some realization-protection in its realisation, so this path lines in txt file(what actually is any PF) wouldn't be ever treated as real items until special order. 'Cause as i understand XY does exactly this(represents path lines as actual data), and that's why system functions think operations are over real data and not mere "links". So without Don's reconsider PF realisation over items representation, your only solution is to remember the dangerous moments and avoid them
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

Daniel0312

Post by Daniel0312 »

Thanks for your input.
I understand there's no real hope to see this "issue" solved.
The blanking of the list is still a problem that should be fixed (even if if in some scarry way it's useful : makes you aware you just deleted a file from your disk not the paper folder :) )
Daniel

eil

Post by eil »

Considering PF use, i'd advice you to enable "Show Information Bar in the List" to have more notice that you are in PF/not real location, and use paper button's "Remove Selected Items" = that's the most safe way.
Lets hope Don decides to do some changes to PF representation/delete handle and will fix that glitch.

Daniel0312

Post by Daniel0312 »

Thanks you for your advice, I'll sure try to find a way to make using PF safer for me.
Daniel

jupe

Post by jupe »

This topic matches, so I am just reusing it.
I mentioned a while ago when VFO was introduced the issue with the list going blank when using SC delete with a VFO open, for me the issue never really went away, but I am just now getting around to finding time to make repro steps, anyway the issue also affects paperfolders, so I made a repro script that should demo the issue I am seeing, which is the list going blank after using SC delete while a paperfolder is open in the pane.

Code: Select all

$new1 = new("<xypaper>\delbug1.txt");
  $new2 = new("<xypaper>\delbug2.txt");
  paperfolder("DELETEBUG", $new1);
  delete 1, 0, $new2;  // DEL FILE NOT LISTED IN CURRENT PF
Hopefully the fix for PF will also resolve it for VFO's.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote: 05 Oct 2022 09:37 I'd wish PF had some realization-protection in its realisation, so this path lines in txt file(what actually is any PF) wouldn't be ever treated as real items until special order. 'Cause as i understand XY does exactly this(represents path lines as actual data), and that's why system functions think operations are over real data and not mere "links". So without Don's reconsider PF realisation over items representation, your only solution is to remember the dangerous moments and avoid them
The confirmation prompts speak a clear language:
Attachments
Delete from File System.png
Delete from File System.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Delete from Paper Folder.png
Delete from Paper Folder.png (4.53 KiB) Viewed 299 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Daniel0312 wrote: 05 Oct 2022 09:15 * clears the list (big fright)
Holymoly!! :shock: Fix comes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jupe wrote: 17 Apr 2023 21:17 This topic matches, so I am just reusing it.
I mentioned a while ago when VFO was introduced the issue with the list going blank when using SC delete with a VFO open, for me the issue never really went away, but I am just now getting around to finding time to make repro steps, anyway the issue also affects paperfolders, so I made a repro script that should demo the issue I am seeing, which is the list going blank after using SC delete while a paperfolder is open in the pane.

Code: Select all

$new1 = new("<xypaper>\delbug1.txt");
  $new2 = new("<xypaper>\delbug2.txt");
  paperfolder("DELETEBUG", $new1);
  delete 1, 0, $new2;  // DEL FILE NOT LISTED IN CURRENT PF
Hopefully the fix for PF will also resolve it for VFO's.
Looks like the blank-list fix of this topic (next beta) also fixed this spin-off issue. Let me know otherwise.

eil

Post by eil »

admin wrote: 19 Apr 2023 17:56 The confirmation prompts speak a clear language:
It does, but this doesn't make the usage easier. Can't say about others, but when i use PF i consider everything as a virtual space, 'cause it's not a real folder but indeed a virtual space where i gathered items from different places.

For example i made a PF with EXEs of all most used apps, each app has own folder with lots of files, obviously i use PF as a launcher space - taking all that in account, surely when i use any form in delete in that PF i totally don't mean "delete this main EXE file of app", i only want to take away the "link" from this space. At the same time, it's not that easy to each time remind oneself that this is not really virtual space, these are Real files and to remove one of them i must use some special command.
That's why i'd wish there be an option for PF to delete/remove actions = if enabled, when user is in PF, any use of delete XY-wise(delete key press or script command) will be handled as Remove from this PF. This would feel much more natural for usage in a virtual space.

ADD: actually Don never mind, you reminded me that i use special empowered Delete script with enhanced protections, and apparently already in past added a safety-belt - if it's PF tab, no real delete happens, only remove.