Hover Box closes when moving over it, not mentioned in Help file

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
elqasar2

Hover Box closes when moving over it, not mentioned in Help file

Post by elqasar2 »

On a fresh instance, the hover box closes when moving the mouse over it. Previously this was mentioned in the Help file, but it was recently removed from the Help file. If this is expected behavior, then it should go back in the Help file.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Start a fresh instance of XYplorer 23.70.
2) Enable the hover box for hovering file icon and hovering filename.
3) Hover over the filename and then hover over the hover box. Notice that the hover box disappears.

Evidence is below. Hopefully the reproduction steps are simple enough for others to follow!

I know of a way to make it stop doing that. But it's quite controversial, apparently. And according to Don, it's normal that it disappears, because of "complex highlight-hover necessities". Therefore, I guess that just the Help file should be adjusted so that the correct information is put back in.
fresh.gif
fresh.gif (177.75 KiB) Viewed 639 times

LittleBiG

Re: Hover Box closes when moving over it, not mentioned in Help file

Post by LittleBiG »

You misunderstand something, there is no bug here, everything works as expected.
From the help file:

Code: Select all

How to open the Hover Box
· Move mouse over the file or folder (icon or caption, depending on settings and list view). 
How to close the Hover Box
· Move mouse out of the file. 
Hoverbox is shown only when your mouse is on the file name or the icon. You can even move your mouse over the file name or the file icon. But you are NOT able to move the mouse over the Hoverbox, that's just nonsense. If you want to scroll it, keep your mouse completely still, then use the mouse wheels.

You CAN move your mouse over the content similar to the Hoverbox content in case of folders, it is called folder contents preview.

Additional retorical question: have you ever managed to move your mouse over a tooltip in any applications? Cannot you see how nonsense what ypu want??

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

There is no misunderstanding on my side. Have you read the other threads, like this post for example (among others):
viewtopic.php?p=203548#p203548
where I made it very clear that I'm talking about trying to scroll folder contents and the contents of text files with my mouse over the box. And according to Don, as well as Horst, they are both able to do so with no problems whatsoever. They didn't take any issue with any terminology used -- they could clearly see my animated GIF I gave as an example and according to them, they can move their mouse over the box and scroll the folder contents with their mousewheel successfully. Of course, neither Don nor Horst could provide an animated GIF to prove that they could. And by the way, as demonstrated in that animated GIF of mine, it clearly is possible to make the box remain when moving the mouse over to it. And I can even get the folder contents to scroll (and the contents of text files to scroll) by using the keyboard while my mouse is over the middle of the box (and far away from the filename). The only thing I can't do is use the mousewheel, unlike Don and Horst who can (alledgedly).

I'll just re-emphasize again: Notice how many times in the other threads I've been very explicit when describing (and showing, with videos) that I'm talking about scrolling folder contents and text files in the box. And each time I'm just told that it's only me it doesn't work for. Not that they're trying to scroll some other kind of content like pictures, etc. No, they claim to be doing the same as me and can't reproduce it. If there is any misunderstanding, it's other's not reading what I'm saying and instead just claiming that they've tried to do the exact same thing and it worked fine for them.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Don't blend the other stuff into this thread. You wrote that you separated it, so keep it that way. I answered strictly to your first post in this very thread. And what you wanted and wrote in the first post is a) nonsense b) not clearly stated. Your video doesn't show any bug but a normal way of working of hoverbox. Yes, disappearing is the expected behavior. Anyway, I am waiting for Don's answer in the other thread I see no point in coming back to here.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

When you open a preview of folder contents in a hover box that is still a hover box. So there is no "nonsense" as you put it. And turning on that setting is also done by using the settings related to when the hover box shows. Furthermore, the exact same problem I'm reporting also affects text content from a text file (which according to you is a real hover box). It is not unique to previews of folder content. So my example in this separate thread is perfectly adequate for the purpose. And neither Don nor anybody else have taken issue with my use of the term hover box when referring to (and showing in videos) the box that appears when hovering over folders after turning on the hover box options. So I'm not blending, or writing nonsense, or not stating things clearly. My videos have been clear, concise, and to the point. I explained exactly what I was doing and what I was expecting. I agree with you that there's no point in you coming back to this thread.