Age circles (AgeGrph) erratic behavior [Explained]

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
FluxTorpedoe

Age circles (AgeGrph) erratic behavior [Explained]

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi’
I guess I have experienced this since the graphical circles were added as age indicators : I have them On at all times, but occasionally they "seem" to turn Off by themselves —usually after a crash, it seems.
I finally, very belatedly, decided to investigate, and there seems to be something weird related to how AgeGrph is saved/updated.
I could just update the pane.ini of all my sessions/tabsets, but that wouldn’t solve it for others (plus, it seems a little weirder than that).

Currently (fresh install), it seems the Age circles status:
 — is stored as tabset data, but is not a real tabset setting (Tabsets > Open/Save functions have no effect)
 — is saved/updated/overwritten by Save Settings (!?), but is not a real general setting since it’s stored in tabsets and can reset on crash

There’s certainly more, and reasons behind this, but I can’t figure out a consistent way to use them…

So, Could this setting be (also?) saved/updated and loaded by tabsets?
(And/or, what am I missing?)

Thanks for your attention,
and continued dedication to XYplorer ! :D :beer:

Flux
Last edited by FluxTorpedoe on 27 Sep 2022 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Age circles (AgeGrph) erratic behavior

Post by admin »

What crash?? :biggrin:

Looking through the code those "Age circles" (AgeGrph) don't behave any differently from other settings.

Or do you see a difference to the "Size circles" (NumGrph)?

All these settings in pane.ini are handled the same way:

Code: Select all

[ListBrowse]
Sort=Modified,d
Num=2
NumGrph=1
AgeGrph=1
Style=1591
View=0
Date=8
Time=4
Age=1
Day=0
Columns=Path.150,+Name.328,+Ext.43,+Size.75,+Modified.115,+Created.115,Type.70,Accessed.111,Attr.55,Len.28,Label.28,Tags.75,Comment.69,Extra 1.64,Extra 2.43,Extra 3.64,Extra 4.64,Extra 5.64,Custom 1.71,Custom 2.93,Custom 3.79,Custom 4.79,Custom 5.79,Index.64,Extra 6.64,Extra 7.64,Extra 8.64,Extra 9.64,Extra 10.64,Extra 11.64,Extra 12.64,Extra 13.64,Extra 14.64,Extra 15.64,Extra 16.64,Custom 6.79,Custom 7.79,Custom 8.79,Custom 9.79,Custom 10.79,

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

> What crash??
Sorry, I should have mentioned: unrelated, or rarely related to XYplorer itself (eg. one being occasional freeze when clicking on some video files with custom statusbar template displaying duration—but that’s beside the point ;) ).

I saw that about half of my tabsets have AgeCircle still set to 0. I thought it was related to why they "disappear" from time to time…
But damn, I tried to replicate the "setting lost on crash" (by force-closing task) but couldn’t! Good for you. :lol:
Also, I can’t compare with Size circles (don’t use them).

> All these settings in pane.ini are handled the same way

Indeed, I see a tabset save does not update ListBrowse, which is obviously processed differently…
So I guess I jumped to conclusion too quickly and my question was misleading: it’s about Age circles, but not directly AgeGrph. 🤔

Yet the tabs/listbrowse difference in behavior remains, here’s how to reproduce eg. between Age circles and Sorting:
 — Open fresh install > Click on tab "Documents" > Save settings
 — Tabsets > Save Copy As… > "SortByName,NoCircles"
 — Click on Modified column header to sort by modified
 — Tools > Customize List > Date Column Format > Circles
 — Tabsets > Save
 — Tabsets > Open > "SortByName,NoCircles"
⇒ Tab "Documents" is restored in Sort by name (OK), but age circles are still active (Not OK?)

Presumably, I’m still missing something…
Now, if it’s too much hassle to investigate, don’t sweat it if it, I’ll update my tabsets manually (and presumably have Age circles stick). 🙂

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, these settings are seen as properties of the pane rather than properties of a tabset. I think it's alright as it is.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

> Properties of the pane
Damn, I’m so used to thinking "tabsets"… that I forgot that the file itself is called "panes" indeed! 🤦
So, not everything is saved/updated via the Tabsets menu. Makes sense.

And that’s why it wasn’t updated in all my sessions/tabsets (though an auto Save Settings on close should have? Well, not so important…)

Let’s drop this, you have more interesting/important stuff to work on. :)

Thanks for your feedback,

Flux

———————————————————————————

⮞ Solution (to not-a-bug)
 In case anyone encounters the same apparent issue of Age circles loss:
 — Reactivate them in both panes: Menu Tools > Customize List > Date Column Format > Circles
 — Save/Update the info: Menu File > Save Settings