Tabs to catalog category

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jupe

Tabs to catalog category

Post by jupe »

I just tested the new tabs to category catalog feature in 23.60.0015, and noticed that if you use variables in your tab locations (relocate tab) it fails to get the icon properly in the catalog item because the location field becomes eg %TEMP% [C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp] if your tab is located at %TEMP%, but of course the item still works correctly because it just references a position.

Additionally, and unsure if this is expected, so just mentioning it, but I also noticed that if you are on the opposite pane (to the created category) it doesn't switch panes to get to the correct tab either, it just references the position on the focused pane. Perhaps the category could store pane info?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tabs to catalog category

Post by admin »

Fixed that %temp% thing.

Currently I have nowhere to store such a pane flag. I'll think about it.

I'm also wondering if in the event that the tab that would be selected no longer matches the path in the catalog, should a new tab be created instead of selecting the one at the selected position? :maf:

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 15 Sep 2022 10:44 I'm also wondering if in the event that the tab that would be selected no longer matches the path in the catalog, should a new tab be created instead of selecting the one at the selected position? :maf:
I am sorry to say, but I don't like this behaviour, when a new tab is opened. This way Tabs category is like a bunch of simple and unintelligent folder links. I was in my Download folder, went down one level to the Books, then I navigated away, and clicking the D:\Downloads opened a new D:\Downloads tab next to the Books... :roll:
I would have liked much better that (as the previous behavior) clicking on D:\Downloads would have been back to D:\Downloads.In this way Tab Category handles a static group of tabs, so if I wandered away from a folder, I can get back in two clicks on the tab. And I would refresh the Tab Category only if I manually really opened some new tabs (but please, tab category shouldn't do that.)
Was I clear enough? If I have five tabs and I create 5 tab category I want to handle that 5 as long as possible, position stuff was a good idea, but a next click should work as home. If I open a sixth one, I would refresh the Tabs category.
Plus, if the clicked tab in category has been closed before, only then would I open it.

I would like if it worked more "tabbish" as it is called Tabs Category. (For me, now it is like simply favorite folders. What we can achieve in many different ways already.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Depends. I like the new one better. Could be handled by a setting. I'll consider it.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Something has been deleted from my previous post accidentaly, where I was explaining the Downloads/Books use case.
"I would have liked much better that (as the previous behavior) clicking on D:\Downloads would have been back to D:\Downloads\Books then if I click the tab in the Tabs category again it would go back to the original location, D:\Downloads. In this way Tab Category handles a static group of tabs, so if I wandered away from a folder, I can get back in two clicks on the tab."
First click: go to the tab position
Second click: go "home". (when the position is a match but the folder is not the original)

Edit: now the funcionality = (add item tab location)*number of tabs + reuse setting + shift modifier on click if the tab doesn't exist. But I wouldn't call it vertical tabs. And could require more manual refresh as it is easily out of sync.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 16 Sep 2022 12:39 Depends. I like the new one better. Could be handled by a setting. I'll consider it.
Sure.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LittleBiG wrote: 16 Sep 2022 13:53 First click: go to the tab position
Second click: go "home". (when the position is a match but the folder is not the original)
As it happens, this logic comes naturally from the code: It takes the fewest lines to make it work like this. So now I've changed it like this. Also, I've seen that each Catalog item offers "Open in new tab" in the right-click menu, so there's no loss of functionality with this change.

jupe

Post by jupe »

I was just testing this feature out again, and I noticed that if the active tab has a VF applied when you add the Tabs Category, all the catalog items that are created in the category have the VF appended to them (manually renamed tabs don't display it, but it's there if you go to Properties).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whoa, right. Fix coming.