Hover Box doesn't close when moving over it, as mentioned in Help file

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
elqasar2

Hover Box doesn't close when moving over it, as mentioned in Help file

Post by elqasar2 »

The help file says you can close the Hover Box by doing this: "Move mouse over the box itself."

This is not true. If the hover box appears immediately to the right of the file you're hovering over, it's possible to move the mouse cursor horizontally across the filename you're currently on, and over to the content of the Hover Box without the box closing. At this point (with the mouse cursor over the Hover Box instead of the filename) it becomes impossible to scroll text, etc. You have to move the mouse cursor back the filename to do so.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hover Box doesn't close when moving over it, as mentioned in Help file

Post by admin »

The help is outdated in that point (will fix).

But here I can scroll the contents just as well when I'm over the box. :?

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

It seems the scrolling by keyboard still work when over the hover box, it's just scrolling by mouse wheel that stops working.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Works here.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

admin wrote: 28 Aug 2022 17:48Works here.
The below GIF shows what I see when I try to use the mousewheel to scroll while the cursor is directly over the hover box. In the animation you can see that whenever I move the mouse over the filename I can scroll the hoverbox contents successfully, and whenever I move the mouse over to the actual hoverbox, I am trying to scroll with the mousewheel but nothing is happening. As you're unable to reproduce this, I'd be interested to see a GIF from anybody who can successfully do what I cannot do.
hoverbox.gif
hoverbox.gif (220.42 KiB) Viewed 932 times

Horst

Post by Horst »

No problem here
I can scroll with keyboard and mouse while over the Hoverbox
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Well, I wonder what is the explanation for what happens in my animated GIF. Clearly, my mouse works. And clearly, my mousewheel works.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

It seems a bit suspicious that nobody can do what I've requested and show me their scrolling by mousewheel when moving the cursor over to the hoverbox. What I also note is that if I start a fresh instance and enable Hoverbox for both icon and filename, when moving the cursor across to the hoverbox it disappears. So there are actually 2 things suspicious: (1) apparently nobody else encounters the problem, which means everybody else has modified some settings from the default to cause the hoverbox to not disappear (what are the chances that everybody has taken such an action?), and (2) nobody is prepared to make an animated GIF demonstrating the same thing I did, but without encountering the problem.

Edit - Since no-one else cares, I'm cotinuing to troubleshoot on my own. I've found that the setting required to get the Hoverbox to remain visible when moving the mouse cursor across to it is:
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Usability | Highlight hovered items
The default is on. But you have to turn that off. So apparently everybody else that claims not to have any trouble at all, has changed the default setting by turning the above option off. Yeah, right!
Last edited by elqasar2 on 27 Sep 2022 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Since v21.20.0210 - 2020-11-12 14:43 moving the mouse over the Hover Box will not close it anymore (else oversized boxes would not be showable). The Help has been fixed already.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

admin wrote: 27 Sep 2022 16:57 Since v21.20.0210 - 2020-11-12 14:43 moving the mouse over the Hover Box will not close it anymore (else oversized boxes would not be showable). The Help has been fixed already.
See my above edited comment. That and my other points still stand. Something is clearly broken.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What is broken?

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

admin wrote: 27 Sep 2022 17:03What is broken?
My post, two posts up, you haven't read?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You speak primarily of the lack of interest from other users. :)

Define the problem in a clear statement.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Problem #1, Bug number #1, Thing I'm pissed that others are being dishonest about #1:

In a fresh instance with Hoverbox enabled, if you don't turn off the following setting:
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Usability | Highlight hovered items
This is what happens when you try to move your mouse to the Hoverbox (it disappears wtf):
fresh.gif
fresh.gif (177.75 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Problem #2:

Can be seen in my animated GIF a few posts up. After turning off the setting:
I can then move the mouse to the hoverbox successfully, but scrolling the mousewheel does nothing. This is the issue everybody else claims not to encounter, but what I'm saying is that without people turning off the 'Highlight hovered items' setting, they wouldn't even be able to test this, which is why I think others are being dishonest (and probably also why they don't want to post a GIF of their own).

Horst

Post by Horst »

elqasar2 wrote: 27 Sep 2022 16:50 Edit - Since no-one else cares, I'm cotinuing to troubleshoot on my own. I've found that the setting required to get the Hoverbox to remain visible when moving the mouse cursor across to it is:
The default is on. But you have to turn that off. So apparently everybody else that claims not to have any trouble at all, has changed the default setting by turning the above option off. Yeah, right!
No, this assumption is wrong.
I have this setting on and no problems.
Screenshot - 27.09.2022 , 17_21_10.png
Screenshot - 27.09.2022 , 17_21_10.png (22.68 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73