Hover Box doesn't close when moving over it, as mentioned in Help file

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
elqasar2

Re: Hover Box doesn't close when moving over it, as mentioned in Help file

Post by elqasar2 »

Horst wrote: 27 Sep 2022 17:23 No, this assumption is wrong.
I have this setting on and no problems.
Still waiting for your animated GIF :whistle:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

#1 minor side-effect of highlight-hover necessities too complex to explain here

#2 cannot confirm

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Just to be clear, I LIKE that the hoverbox stays visible. I WANT it to be visible. I'm HAPPY when it stays visible. But for #1 I'm claiming that for most people (everyone using default settings) it likely DOESN'T stay visible. And you're basically saying yeah, so what, I know, that's normal. ??? Sometimes I wish I could somehow see inside the thought process of others.... :roll:

Regarding #2, you have no interest, despite the video evidence that there's a bug? :blackstorm:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try to focus on the facts: I (and others) cannot reproduce it.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Sure, I like facts. I also like evidence. I've posted some very good evidence here in this thread. I've posted a video showing behavior with a fresh instance. I've also posted a separate video with evidence of a scrolling bug. I'm also a fan of troubleshooting, investigating, and getting to the bottom of things.

I haven't seen any evidence from anybody else doing the action I demonstrated in my videos, even after explicitly asking for it.

Is it not easy to see why I'm frustrated? Take for example just Issue #1. My video shows a problem with a fresh instance where I can get the hoverbox to disappear when it shouldn't. Don, you say you see the same. But Horst says he doesn't see it happen to him. He claims he hasn't had to change that setting and everything works fine for him. But he doesn't want to show a video of it. Do you understand my frustration?

Don, you and I had a separate discussion earlier in this same thread, where I prompted you to update the documentation, because you said the hoverbox is not supposed to disappear. But now you are saying that you confirm the problem #1, but it apparently doesn't matter?? What was the whole previous discussion about the hoverbox disappearing about then? And why was the documentation even changed then, if it actually is the case that it does disappear by default in a fresh instance because of a known highlighting thing? What is going on here. Is this not crazy?

Please re-read this thread slowly from the beginning. Surely there is something being missed or misunderstood. I feel I have explained things quite clearly, but we are still going in circles because of things being forgotten/misunderstood.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

Don, I see you've got nothing to say in response. I've made a new thread focusing on just the first issue, i.e. reporting the opposite of the issue I started this thread with. Hopefully it will make it easier for you to understand. I must admit I still can't understand your thinking.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Don, there is one possibility when you are able to move your mouse over the hoverbox (and it doesn't disappear until you move your mouse away from it and you are not able to scroll it until you go back over the filename). When you set the "Show Hoverbox" and "When hovering over the filename" and the file is close to the lower part of the screen and the filename is not a short one, so filename and hoverbox overlaps.
Interestingly, if you set the "Hover highlight items", the hoverbox works as expected: if you are not over the filename, howerbox disappears. As if hoverbox grabs the focus? comes into the foreground? when the "Hover highlight items" is not set and the mouse pointer keeps the hoverbox open.
Did you write about this behaviour as a complex side effect? Or could it be fixed that the the disappearing would work in the same way even when the "Hover highlight item" is not set, that is, only the overlapping part of the hoverbox and the filename could keep the hoverbox open?
Last edited by LittleBiG on 27 Sep 2022 23:17, edited 6 times in total.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

LittleBiG wrote: 27 Sep 2022 22:55Interestingly, if you set the "Hover highlight items", the hoverbox works as expected
Did you read this whole thread, in particular the part earlier where I was saying:
elqasar2 wrote: 27 Sep 2022 17:19After turning off the setting:
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Usability | Highlight hovered items
I can then move the mouse to the hoverbox successfully, but scrolling the mousewheel does nothing.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

elqasar2 wrote: 27 Sep 2022 23:04
LittleBiG wrote: 27 Sep 2022 22:55Interestingly, if you set the "Hover highlight items", the hoverbox works as expected
Did you read this whole thread, in particular the part earlier where I was saying:
elqasar2 wrote: 27 Sep 2022 17:19After turning off the setting:
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Usability | Highlight hovered items
I can then move the mouse to the hoverbox successfully, but scrolling the mousewheel does nothing.
Yes, I did. But it was not clear to me, so I did my own tests. Now I understand the "problem", and tried to explain it to Don better than you did. I hope I managed to do so.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I understood that already, I moved my mouse over the box, the box stayed, and I could scroll it with the wheel. Hence I said "cannot confirm".

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 28 Sep 2022 09:10 I understood that already, I moved my mouse over the box, the box stayed, and I could scroll it with the wheel. Hence I said "cannot confirm".
Only if you are on the overlapping part. Otherwise it is not possible to scroll I can confirm that. However, the problem is not the scrolling itself. It should disappear when you move your mouse away from the filename (overlapping part) as it is done when "Highlight hover items" is on. So shouldn't be a possibility of scrolling there actually...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What is overlapping what?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 28 Sep 2022 09:54 What is overlapping what?
The filename and the hoverbox. But I was wrong, when my mouse is over the hoverbox, no scrolling happens at all, not even on the overlapping part, but actually I don't care at all. I always scroll it on the filename as it is meant to scroll. I won't sweat on this I just set the "Show hoverbox - When hovering over the icon". That never overlaps, so it works without any glitches.

(My very last remark: hoverbox should work in the very same way as the tooltips: if you try to move your mouse over a tooltip, it disappears, even if you are still on the filename /You cannot move your mouse pointer over a tooltip. That's the nature of it./ So I regard it as a bug which is too complicated to eliminate and move on.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No. As I already said, Hover Boxes can become quite big, so mouse over should not kill them.

This whole thread is just a waste of time. I close it now.