Preview zoom broken

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
RalphM

Preview zoom broken

Post by RalphM »

With 23.50.0205 the zoom options in preview (F11 full screen in my case) don't seem to be working anymore.
Neither form the context menu nor with the shortcuts.

Edit: Zoom to fit was set but I'm pretty sure this was the case in the past as well and I was still able to use the numpad + and - keys to zoom in and out.
Switching Zoom to fit off lets me zoom in again.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Preview zoom broken

Post by admin »

"Zoom to fit" was broken, and I fixed it in v23.50.0203 - 2022-08-25 12:36.

Now "Zoom to fit" and free zooming are contradictory by nature. I'm not sure how to solve this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I guess "Zoom to fit" should be auto-turned off when you zoom.

PS: found a better way.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

With Zoom to fit on, changing files should always show the new one fit but still allow you to zoom.
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

23.50.0208 almost restored the old functionality again. Zoom in and out works but when I want to drag the zoomed view by LMB it jumps back to fit screen.
Any chance you could fix this as well?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Coming...

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Preview zoom broken - Zoom To Fit problem

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi’

I guess you knew what can of worms it was when you reopened it… ;)
And well, it may not have been perfect before (?), but now it lost some functionality and introduced some bugs.

My main issue: We can no longer switch between "Fit _All_" and "Original Size" (with * and / or context menu).

It seems that in some cases, but not all, "Zoom To Fit" behaves:
 — like a mode (ie. like a "Zoom To Fit Always", regardless of other modes)
 — and not an option (ie. like a "Zoom To Fit If Necessary", depending on the mode).

⮞ TL;DR in my view:
 — "Zoom To Fit" should be an option which means "Enlarge if necessary" and only concerns the "Fit…" modes.
   So you’d have the menu :

⏺ Fit All
   ⚪ Fit Width
   ⚪ Fit Height
   ————————————
   ✔ Enlarge If Necessary (aka Zoom To Fit)
   ————————————
   ⚪ Zoom To Fill
   …

— It should not interfere with the other three modes: Zoom To Fill, Original Size (currently buggy), Double Size
 — It should not interfere with free zooming (so it wouldn’t be contradictory since it would only be an option "if necessary")
 — It should indeed remain active when changing files (so the new image should fit) —unless told otherwise, i.e
 — It should not interfere with Lock Zoom, which, by definition, should lock the current (fixed or free) zoom mode
   so, the next image should keep the mode that was last activated (be it eg. Fit All, Original size, free zoom…)

There may be some worms that I forget, but this should be better / more consistent already I think…

Thanks,

Flux

———————————————————————————

⮞ To help track some of the current bugs / inconsistencies

➊ Bug with Zoom To Fit and Original Size
Say we have two portrait images Thumb.jpg and 4k.jg.
• Mode Fit All + ZTF:
   — Th ⇒ OK: enlarged to fit
   — 4k ⇒ OK: shrunk to fit
• Mode Original size + ZTF:
   — Th ⇒ Not OK: enlarged to fit
   — 4k ⇒ Not OK: shrunk to fit
• But Mode Double Size + ZTF:
   — Th ⇒ OK: size doubled, regardless of ZTF
   — 4k ⇒ OK: size doubled…

➋ Fit Width + ZTF
 — Th ⇒ OK: zoomed to fit width…
   until you right-click (eg. to drag/pan), then image "pops" back to its original size

➌ Any mode + ZTF + Lock Zoom > free zoom in image (eg. with Num+) > next image >
 — the new image should have the same _locked_ zoom state/% that was just defined in the previous image
Last edited by FluxTorpedoe on 02 Oct 2022 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Edit: Browser bug / double-posted partially, so I edited the previous post.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Preview zoom broken - Zoom To Fit problem

Post by admin »

Let's start with the main issue:
FluxTorpedoe wrote: 02 Oct 2022 17:47 My main issue: We can no longer switch between "Fit _All_" and "Original Size" (with * and / or context menu).
This is when "Zoom to fit" is enabled, right? And it seems logical to me. Why don't you just disable "Zoom to fit" then? Or should using "Fit _All_" or "Original Size" internally disable it? I could live with that.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

>> My main issue: We can no longer switch between "Fit _All_" and "Original Size"
> This is when "Zoom to fit" is enabled, right?
   Yes.

> And it seems logical to me.
   If "Zoom to fit" was never an option but only a mode (like the six modes from "Fit All" to "Double Size"), I guess so. (But this would raise other illogical concerns.)

> Why don't you just disable "Zoom to fit" then?
   Because quite often, I want to check a mix of small previews and large masters — with all images in Fit All (shrunk or enlarged).
   Hence the setup I was using until now: "Zoom to fit" always ON, enlarging pics when necessary when I chose to "Fit All" (via Num *), but not doing anything when I chose Original size (Num /).

> Or should using "Fit _All_" or "Original Size" internally disable it?
   "Fit All" should definitely not disable "Zoom to fit"! But "Original Size" definitely should.
   I fear most of the issues are intertwined and probably can’t be tackled separately (including the current behavior discrepancy between Original and Double size with ZTF, or the bug with Fit Width + ZTF).

So maybe you meant: Any viewing mode not containing "Fit" should internally disable it? I think so! :)
   ie. it should only behave as an option —that it is—, and only for the Fit modes: Fit All, Fit Width, Fit Height.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It looks complex but it's surely solvable.
FluxTorpedoe wrote: 04 Nov 2022 21:27    So maybe you meant: Any viewing mode not containing "Fit" should internally disable it? I think so! :)
   ie. it should only behave as an option —that it is—, and only for the Fit modes: Fit All, Fit Width, Fit Height.
Let's start with that and see how far we can get.

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

> My main issue: We can no longer switch between "Fit _All_" and "Original Size"
   Fixed in v23.70.0207, thank you! :appl:

Your step by step approach worked! ;)