Crash after plugging in external drive

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
elqasar2

Crash after plugging in external drive

Post by elqasar2 »

Often when I plug in an external USB drive, XYplorer immediately crashes. This has been happening for years. With flash drives, hard drives, etc. Whether I plug the drive in to the USB ports in my monitor, or the USB ports at the back of my desktop computer which are directly connected to the motherboard. It doesn't matter. I always have the worry that plugging in a USB drive will crash XYplorer.

I'm on Windows 10 and am always running the latest release of XYplorer, and the situation has never improved, unfortunately.

Recently I got a 5TB Western Digital Elements USB drive. Same thing with this drive. XYplorer is minimized and running only in the tray. I plug in the drive, then a few minutes later I move my mouse cursor over the XYplorer tray icon so I can restore the window, and the tray icon immediately disappears (which tells me XYplorer crashed). Then I look in Windows Problem Reports, and I confirm that XYplorer crashed at the exact time when I plugged in the drive.

I hope something can be done to find and fix the problem. I can even run a debug version if it will help. The crashing is driving me crazy.
crash.png
crash.png (18.36 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
detail.png
detail.png (43.48 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Crash after plugging in external drive

Post by admin »

Never happens here. Thanks for the report anyway. I wonder if others on Win10 share that experience.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

The problem reports for crashed processes, which say "Report sent"... where do they get sent to? Does Microsoft share the crash dumps with developers?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nirvana?
No.

I will add some special crash detector code to the next beta (v23.60.0004 - 2022-09-07 09:51). You should get an error message with this version.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

I've just had XYplorer crash again as soon as I plugged in my external drive a few minutes ago. I'm currently running version 23.60.0012. I assume the debug code is still in this beta, as I haven't seen any mention in the changelog of it being removed.

However, I got no error/debug message. As mentioned in the first post: "XYplorer is minimized and running only in the tray." Once again today, after plugging in the USB drive, I moved my mouse over to the XYplorer tray icon so that I could maximize it, and the icon just disappeared, indicating that XYplorer.exe had crashed. Sure enough, when I looked in Windows Problem Reports, I could confirm that XYplorer had indeed just crashed.
crash.png
crash.png (18.25 KiB) Viewed 927 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, it's only in v23.60.0004.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

OK, well I've been testing lots of other things in more recent betas as you know. Now that I got the crash to occur again, the debug code is gone :roll:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So the crash is not easily reproducible?

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

It happens about 1-2 times a week on average. I've been plugging in the drive each day since you added the debug code (thinking the code was still there) and today was the first crash since then.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, I'll create another debug version later.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

XYplorer doesn't crash for me but it hangs for a while when I hover over an external drive (in the This PC view) or right click it, doing any of this on local drives doesn't hang XYplorer, it only happens with external drive(s?), I only have one HDD available to try as external.

EDIT: Well, it hangs doing anything and everything with the external drive, browsing the drive takes longer than it should (the drive is completely empty), creating a text file takes longer than it should, tried deleting this file and, well, XYplorer and the Microsoft's progress window hung and had to force close. Doing any of this with M$ Explorer works fine.

Tried rebooting because, well, it solves almost everything on Windows and like I said, a reboot solved it.

On another machine, XYplorer hangs when I right click local drives and mapped network shares, I have to kill XYplorer and reopen it. Right clicking using M$ Explorer doesn't hang and it shows the context menu instantly for both local and network drives. Ticking "Show the 64-bit context menu" in XYplorer also shows the context menu instantly.

EDIT: A reboot didn't help in this case, still same behavior.

Both machines have v23.60.0100.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I assume it comes instantly when you tick Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

admin wrote: 17 Sep 2022 17:21 I assume it comes instantly when you tick Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu.
Yep, it does.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So it is any of the 32-bit shell extensions that steal your time.

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

admin wrote: 13 Sep 2022 11:23 Ok, I'll create another debug version later.
I've been using v23.80.0002 for a few days, hoping to catch the crash I reported since a long time ago. But I see that with the latest beta you believe it has probably been fixed based on the debug info captured by another user. Before I upgrade to a newer beta version, now that you know the cause, do you know of a way I can induce the crash on demand while I'm still using v23.80.0002 so that I can do a before-and-after comparison with v23.80.0002 and the latest beta to make sure that the crash has definitely been fixed?