Moving folder in tree changes location of inactive (locked) tab

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
daniel_m

Moving folder in tree changes location of inactive (locked) tab

Post by daniel_m »

Difficult to explain ... I hope the following is comprehensible :biggrin: :

How to replicate the bug:
1) Create folders 'c:\test' and 'c:\location'
2) Open new tab 'A' and view folder 'c:\test' (double click 'c:\test')
3) Open new tab 'B' and view folder 'c:\test' (double click 'c:\test')
4) With tab 'B' being active, move 'c:\test' in the tree view to into 'c:\location' (either with drag & drop or right click context menu cut & paste)

Expected behaviour:
Tab 'A' should jump upwards in the directory structure and show 'c:\'
Tab 'B' should jump upwards in the directory structure and show 'c:\'

Observed behaviour:
Tab 'A' shows 'c:\location\test'
Tab 'B' shows 'c:\'

Which folder is viewed in tab 'B' in step 3) is irrelevant, but nicely demonstrates the different behaviours of tabs 'A' and 'B'.

This bug also occurs when tab 'A' is locked to HomeZone 'c:\', and the folder 'test' in step 4) is moved to another drive. E.g. moving 'c:\test' to 'd:\location\' will make tab 'A' show 'd:\location\test' instead of 'c:\' (or any other directory on c:).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Moving folder in tree changes location of inactive (locked) tab

Post by admin »

Well, you call it a bug, I call it design. IMO the way it is now is quite nice. :)

daniel_m

Post by daniel_m »

admin wrote: 29 Jun 2022 15:05 Well, you call it a bug, I call it design. IMO the way it is now is quite nice. :)
Ok, fists out!!! :mrgreen:

No, I accept your choice ... partly :biggrin:
I see the biggest issue with the current behaviour when a tab is locked to a HomeZone. In that case, the HomeZone should definitively not be left and point to an "outside location".
I still see a smaller issue with a tab suddenly pointing to a new location after an action that was performed in an otherwise unrelated tab.

There is an additional issue with "right click drag & drop > move here" in the tree pane.
Yes, this way of moving folders produces yet another behaviour 8):

When I move the currently selected/viewed folder to another location inside the HomeZone, the tab shows the new location with the moved folder inside (which seems fine). When the parent is outside of the HomeZone, a new tab is opened that shows the new location. It is debatable whether opening new tabs is convenient or not. But (yes, there is always a butt!) the old (locked) tab is still pointing to the old location of the moved folder. Since that location doesn't exist any more, the tab shows an error "Location currently not available".

One solution to all these cases would be (an option) to default to the parent (one step up in the directory structure). At least in the case of tabs with locked HomeZones.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's your setting here: Configuration | General | Tree and List | Tree | Select parent of moved folder

For me it is unticked, and I'm totally happy with the results, including the Home Zoned tabs.

daniel_m

Post by daniel_m »

admin wrote: 30 Jun 2022 13:58 What's your setting here: Configuration | General | Tree and List | Tree | Select parent of moved folder
I have this option enabled (because I thought it would do what I described as "Expected behaviour" previously).
Disabling it doesn't make a difference.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Weird. It should make a difference when you move the folder you're in.

I now tried all possible combinations of moves and zones and drives. Did not see something that I'd call a bug. These things have been working like this for many years now, the logic behind it is very complex and only a really serious problem would make me want to touch it again.

daniel_m

Post by daniel_m »

Too bad. I run into this "behaviour" quite a lot and have to close newly opened tabs and "restore" locked tabs. But (this time, the butt's for me :biggrin:), I guess I can change my habit and not move folders that are open in a tab. Sorry, when I reported this issue, I wasn't aware it would be difficult to fix :oops:.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Of course, it's perfectly okay to report unwanted experiences. But again, I don't see anything buggy enough to justify taking the motor apart.