XYplorer freezes for a few seconds after mouse pointer slides over an Outlook message (.msg)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Nuno

XYplorer freezes for a few seconds after mouse pointer slides over an Outlook message (.msg)

Post by Nuno »

Just as the subject states: my XYplorer version (23.20) freezes for a few seconds after sliding over an Outlook message (.msg) which has been drag&dropped from Outlook.
I noticed I do not have to stop the mouse pointer, just moving it hover the Outlook message (icon or name) is sufficient. After waiting a few seconds, XYplorer unfreezes itself. If I want to rename the msg file, I have to keep the mouse pointer still while pressing the mouse button twice (or pressing F2).
I am pretty sure this didn't happen in previous versions (of XYplorer, or maybe of Office 365), but I'm not sure since when this started happening.
I hope it is reproducible...

admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer freezes for a few seconds after mouse pointer slides over an Outlook message (.msg)

Post by admin »

That's probably the Hover Box. MSG needs a preview handler for the preview, and some of these are slow.

Here are some options for you:

1) tick Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Show Hover Box | When hovering over the icon
Then hovering the caption will not cause any delay.

2) untick Office Files here:
Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Show Hover Box | Select Item Types...

3) untick MSG here:
Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats | Category: Office Files

Nuno

Re: XYplorer freezes for a few seconds after mouse pointer slides over an Outlook message (.msg)

Post by Nuno »

Thanks! Problem fixed! :)

I already had 1) and 2) set as you suggested, but I didn't think of 3), modifying the Previewed Formats.
After disabling "*.msg", the freezing is gone, with no other functionality missing (by mistake I disabled it in Text Files instead of in Office Files, but it appears to work all the same)

EDIT: I went back and disabled *.msg in "Office Files" instead of in "Text Files" and it didn't fix the issue. It appears to be imperative to disable *.msg in "Text Files"!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, okay. Hover Box just checks if a preview of this file type is generally desired. (apparently, no time ATM to go into this)