Occasional crash using 'right mouse up on folder'

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
cueop

Occasional crash using 'right mouse up on folder'

Post by cueop »

A crash occurs intermittently when using 'right mouse up on folder' in the list pane followed by a click on one of the displayed files (usually a jpg) to open it in the default program. On restarting XYplorer, the same actions on the same folder and file work perfectly. I have not experienced this crash when accessing files from within a folder.

I have failed to pin this issue down any further. There are no error logs generated. I did try leaving the system idle for 10 mins (cup of tea required - Brit here!), to check to see if it was a timing issue with disk spin-up, but no.

I do not consider this to be a high priority bug, just mildly irritating, since I find this function incredibly useful, and use it frequently.

System:
XYplorer v 23.20.0100
i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
32GB Memory
Windows 10
The disks are not showing any errors in my SMART monitor log.

Regards

Horst

Re: Occasional crash using 'right mouse up on folder'

Post by Horst »

Simple tests to reproduce it didn't make any errors.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

cueop

Post by cueop »

Yes, agreed. I cannot reproduce this to order.

I've just tried 20 or so folders, with no problem at all. But earlier today it happened twice, with a gap of several hours and multiple operations (moves, renames, deletes, etc) between them. And, as I said, after restart, retrying the offending folder and file works perfectly.

regards

cueop

Post by cueop »

Do you perhaps have a method to switch on some diagnostic tracing? If this would help, I would not mind a minor performance hit such tracing could cause

cueop

Post by cueop »

As a precaution, I've also tried adding XYplorer.exe to the exclusions in my Kaspersky AV.

No change, unfortunately. In fact, I managed to crash xy when attempting the 'mouse up' followed by 'click on displayed file' as the first operation after starting the app. So unlikely to be a heap or stack overflow, I think.

highend

Post by highend »

Does it also happen when you tick:

Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | [x] Hide shell extensions from shell context menu
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

cueop

Post by cueop »

highend wrote: 20 Jun 2022 08:11 Does it also happen when you tick:

Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | [x] Hide shell extensions from shell context menu
I'll give it a try, although it does hide a couple of extensions that I use.

cueop

Post by cueop »

So the use of 'Hide Shell Extensions' for several hours gave no crashes.

However, the comment did give me some more search keys on the forum. which in turn led me to 'Shell Integration' -> 'Use 64-bit preview' and 'Fall back to preview handers of other bitness', both of which I have checked. I have also unchecked 'Hide Shell Extensions'.

I am happy to report that after several more hours, there has been no further crash. Still a bit early to fully confirm successful circumvention, but it is certainly looking good so far.

Thinking back a bit, the problem really only began to impinge on my consciousness since the latest MS Patch run (if it was present earlier, then it was sufficiently rare that I ignored it). I believe this patch run fully deprecated all old IE browsers, inter alia, and also ensured the MS Edge was fully enabled, including setting it as the default fallback .pdf handler. Not that I use any IE, or Edge; my preferred .pdf handler is set to stdu viewer.

Thank-you all for your suggestions.

Regards

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good!

If you want to read more about it: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=ctxcrash