Unable to navigate when specific Color Filter is active

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
VeeGee

Unable to navigate when specific Color Filter is active

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
I recently added and enabled the new Color Filter for empty folders :

Code: Select all

B:prop:#empty:2 //empty folders
In my setup, I have 2 panes and XYCopy is my handler. With this Color Filter enabled, if I copy or move file(s) from one pane to the other, I can not use any navigation buttons or mouse buttons (to move back/forward) while the copy/move is in progress. If I click the back arrow or use my mouse button in a pane, it basically just sits there until the copy/move is done and then it happens.

If I disable this Color Filter, navigation during a copy/move is instant (like before).

EDIT : If it helps/matters, I 100% notice this when one pane is my mapped network drive (to NAS) and the other pane is local HDD. I would have to re-enable the Color Filter and try when going between just HDDs.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Unable to navigate when specific Color Filter is active

Post by admin »

Interesting. Is this a new experience?

Anyway, I have a theory and tried something. Next beta...

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning.
Thank you for looking into this. I have only recently enabled this so I'm not sure if it's new issue or not. What I do know is with this Filter turned off, I don't experience the issue, when it's on it happens 100% of the time.

I updated to your latest beta and the issue still persists. Here are some of my steps that I tested :
23.10.0008 - Filter OFF
This specific filter is OFF.
Started a copy from Pane 1 (NAS) to Pane 2 (local HDD), data is ~10GB, (5) ~2GB files.
Once the copy started, I started changing the paths in both panes by using back button, clicking Tree, clicking the Breadcrumb, etc.
All navigation changes were immediate and I could browse any location or pane while the copy was in progress.
Closed XY when done.

23.10.0008 - Filter ON, fresh XY Restart
This specific filter is ON.
Started a copy from Pane 1 (NAS) to Pane 2 (local HDD), data is ~10GB, (5) ~2GB files.
Once the copy started, I started changing the paths in both panes by using back button, clicking Tree, clicking the Breadcrumb, etc.
No navigation change. The active location stayed at the location that I started with.
The display would almost appear like it was changing; however, all I get is a spinning blue circle.
Once the copy was completed, I would end up at the last location that was clicked. Almost like all my changes were queued up and then all fired off when the copy was done.

I repeated these tests going from Pane 2 (HDD) to Pane 1 (NAS) and from HDD to HDD, all the same results.
If I disable this Color Filter, the issue goes away immediately.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Is your tree very large?
2) It might help to untick this: Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Auto-Refresh | Refresh during file operations

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Tree is very small, set to Mini and cleaned regularly using the ListManagementHouseCleaning script.
Here is the tree used during these copy tests :
Image-001.png
Image-001.png (18.93 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
I made your configuration suggestion changes and no difference, same results.

One thing I forgot to mention is during all the tests when I am attempting to change locations, the file listing in the Pane that I am working on does not change to the new location; however, the title of the current Tab does change to reflect the new location and the new location is highlight/selected in the Mini Tree. Just the file listing in the Pane doesn't change and I also still get the spinning indicator.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, looks like I have to go into it and test it myself. Next week...

Just some questions:
1) Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy is ticked?
2) Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing is ticked?
3) How exactly do you trigger the copy?
4) How many items are copied? Are non-empty folders among them?
5) Do you see a progress dialog while the copy is ongoing?
6) Intra or cross volume?
7) Does it make a difference when you close that Network node in the tree?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you.
1) Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy is ticked?
2) Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing is ticked?
3) How exactly do you trigger the copy?
4) How many items are copied? Are non-empty folders among them?
5) Do you see a progress dialog while the copy is ongoing?
6) Intra or cross volume?
7) Does it make a difference when you close that Network node in the tree?
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Both normal right-click copy/paste and Copy To Other Pane shortcut via the Hamburger (:dpcopyto)
4) No folders, just files. File number doesn't make a difference, could be 1, 5 or more.
5) Yes
6) Cross volume only we copying NAS to local or local to NAS
6a) Intra volume, issue does not happen both with NAS to NAS and HDD to HDD
7) No difference

It appears that this issue is only occurring when to/from NAS to local. NAS is a Synology DS2419+, wired gigabit connection, latest DSM and PC is Window 10 x64 21H2 (latest patches). The NAS tab (locked) is set to the UNC path of the folder; however, when using a tab with the mapped drive letter, e.g. X:\, the issue still occurs. Again, disable the Color Filter, the issue does not happen no matter what/where I copy to/from.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cannot reproduce it.

Does it also happen when Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing is NOT ticked?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

admin wrote: 29 May 2022 10:12 Does it also happen when Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing is NOT ticked?
Color Filter enabled, I unchecked the "Enable background processing" option and the issue DID NOT HAPPEN ! I performed the exact same copy tests as before (which would not work) and with this option unchecked, they work ! I was able to change the location in either pane via mouse button, click the tree and/or breadcrumb and the navigation changes were immediate.
Last edited by VeeGee on 29 May 2022 13:29, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's a workaround, not a success. Still I cannot reproduce it in the background or foreground. Everything works smoothly.