Crash on Move

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
phred

Crash on Move

Post by phred »

Using v23.00.0300 on Win10 Pro.

An occasional issue when left-click drag a single file from one directory to another on the same partition. By rights this should move the file. Every now and then XY locks up on the move and the spinner justs keeps spinning and XY is unresponsive. I have to use Task Manager to kill the process. Once XY is restarted, I see that the file has been moved. Subsequent file moves complete without issue. This seems to happen once or twice a week.

I started using XY with v22.60.0200 and can't recall if this happened or not. I think I would've noticed something like this as it was my first time trying XY. I then registered and started using v22.90.000. Which is when I first notice this behavior, but not often enough to report it.

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Crash on Move

Post by admin »

Is that a move within the same list and tab, or onto another tab, the other pane, or the tree?

phred

Post by phred »

admin wrote: 23 May 2022 17:48 Is that a move within the same list and tab, or onto another tab, the other pane, or the tree?
Thanks Don. I should've been more specific.

Directory list on the left, one pane open. Left-click drag from file in pane and drop on directory on left (within the same partition.) I can't recall if I've tried it by dragging to a tab that has another directory on the same partition. For the next few move operations I will open a tab with the target directory. But this happens so unpredictably that it may never happen when dropping on the tab.

Thanks again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I could not reproduce it, but no wonder, there are countless variables here and just one of them might be crucial. So, we have to wait for the moment it happens to me. Then I will surely fix it fast.

Thanks for the report anyway!

phred

Post by phred »

admin wrote: 23 May 2022 18:42 I could not reproduce it, but no wonder, there are countless variables here and just one of them might be crucial. So, we have to wait for the moment it happens to me. Then I will surely fix it fast.
Understandable with such an intermittent issue. If I happen to notice any pattern, I'll be sure to let you know.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:tup:

phred

Post by phred »

Now using 23.10

It has started up again.

I really don't have much to add other than what I've already posted. This is randomly happening when I move a file from the file list to a directory that is on the same partition. It crashes when I drag to another directory on the same partition be it to the directory list or the directory in a tab. It doesn't (seem) to happen with a copy. It doesn't seem to matter if I simply left-click drag and drop, or right-click drag and select 'move.' Today it happened with PDF files. I'm not certain if it's happened with other formats, but will keep an eye out for that.

I have tried moving to a different partition to see if I get the same behavior, but so far today I haven't had it happen.

Using Task Manager to get out of the freeze, I noticed one time today that there were two instances of xycopy.exe along with xy64,exe and xyplorer.exe. The other times it happened there was only one instance of xycopy.exe.

I wish I could find some consistency with this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

xycopy.exe ... so we are talking about background moves?

phred

Post by phred »

admin wrote: 06 Jun 2022 18:32 xycopy.exe ... so we are talking about background moves?
No, not that I'm aware of. (Not certain how XY moves in the background.)

XY is open when I'm dragging and crashing. It has focus. I'm not using scripts or doing anything fancy.

Just now I closed XY and opened Task Manager. XYplorer.exe is not there but XYcopy.exe is.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It all depends on this checkbox: Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing

phred

Post by phred »

Thanks. Yes, it was enabled so I disabled it. I moved a few PDFs and had no issues, but this thing happens so randomly I'll have to give it a week or more to see if it reoccurs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If it happens only with PDFs: are you maybe previewing the very PDF you are moving?

phred

Post by phred »

admin wrote: 06 Jun 2022 19:46 If it happens only with PDFs: are you maybe previewing the very PDF you are moving?
Today it has only happened with PDFs, but yes it was in the preview pane at the bottom of the file list. Not in the floating preview pane. I did try moving a couple of PDFs (one at a time) right now with each visible in the preview pane and had no issue.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Might be a race condition then. I would assume that you will never get a crash when the preview tab is not active.

phred

Post by phred »

admin wrote: 07 Jun 2022 07:50 Might be a race condition then. I would assume that you will never get a crash when the preview tab is not active.
"race" = "rare"?
And at this point I'm tending to agree. I tried to duplicate the problem many times today and couldn't with preview disabled.