Tags and UDC fields lost on XYcopy move which fails due to locked folder

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JLoftus

Tags and UDC fields lost on XYcopy move which fails due to locked folder

Post by JLoftus »

Using XYcopy to move a folder, where the operation fails to remove the source folder after all of the contents have been moved (due to being locked by another process), the tags and UDC values are lost (not copied).

More detail: If I move a folder which has tags and user defined column data, but the move fails to delete the empty source folder at the end of the move process (because that folder was locked by another process), I am presented with an OK/Cancel dialog (this too is faulty, as the move has completed all but removing the original folder, so "cancel" doesn't really apply unless everything that was moved is returned). I terminate the locking process and click OK, but, the source folder is not deleted (despite the lock being removed), and, the tags and user defined column data has not been copied to the new location.

So what I wind up with, is an empty folder in the original location (which now can be easily deleted), and the new folder location containing the moved files, but the tags and UDC fields are lost.

EDIT: Also may be relevant - this is a cross-volume move

highend

Re: Tags and UDC fields lost on XYcopy move which fails due to locked folder

Post by highend »

Yeah, can confirm this.

"Tag is lost" isn't exactly the case, it's still present in the database though ofc for the wrong (old) file(s)

@Don, if you want to test this, just open a command prompt and cd into the source folder to get the lock
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tags and UDC fields lost on XYcopy move which fails due to locked folder

Post by admin »

Confirmed & fixed. Also improved that error message: Now it offers a Retry / Continue choice.