Xyplorer constantly crashes daily

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
RalphM

Re: Xyplorer constantly crashes daily

Post by RalphM »

@sl23:
I've been following this thread and must say that your many posts with little to no new info didn't really help to make your case.

We are all aware that XY is 32bit and this can cause some issues with the accessibility of context menus, further to that it has been proven several times that context menus have been badly affected by 3rd party shell extensions.
However it is hard to believe that XY would suddenly drop off context menus of other apps on a whim without any changes to the system.

As you seem to be the only one having these problems, it is safe to assume that your system must be special in some way, so you are also the only one who can provide info to maybe have it fixed but just reporting which menus are missing will certainly not be enough.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thanks RalphM, but I do not know what info is required. Apart from version info that was suggested, nothing else has been asked for. I tried to describe the issues in the first post, what other info is there?

XYplorer didn't drop off of other context menus, it wasn't on them, not that I noticed anyway, it is that WinRAR keeps being lost from within XYplorer's context menu as I stated before. I wasn't aware of issues with XYplorer's context menu before now.

The reason I posted so much was just to inform me the crashes, seems it was taken the wrong way. It wasn't meant to push the issue or anything. I didn't know if it would be seen if I kept updating the same post as once it's read it's read. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

I get that I'm the only one reporting a problem, but it's the flippant way it is dealt with. I've tried to make amends, what else can I do!

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Well, in order to hunt for a suspected bug, one needs to be able to reproduce it (otherwise any attempt to fix it has rather low success rates).
Once the steps to reproduce the bug are found, others including the developer can do the same on their systems and if the problem shows there as well than it can be attempted to fix it.
As noted above 3rd party shell extensions have often caused systems to misbehave and XY being blamed for same but often the cause was somewhere else (please search the forum for "context menu" or similar and you should find ample examples).
XY is a 32bit program, so context menus of 64bit apps on your system might not show up in its native context menu, that's where the 64bit context menu comes into play (depending on which one you need more, you can set your preference in the config but currently there is no way to show them both at the same time).
The usual approach would be to disable shell extensions but since your problem seems to be missing entries, this doesn't help here.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

sl23

Post by sl23 »

I appreciate what you're saying, but there are no reproducible steps, it happens randomly and unexpectedly. Otherwise I would have given that information ;)

I'll check out the forum as you suggested, thank you for your help :tup:

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Seems to have stopped crashing now that I am using XY in dual pane mode. Whereas before I was dragging to and from Q-Dir. Maybe it's the third party drag and drop causing issues? Just a thought.

One thing I noticed was before it crashed, the icons in the context menu changed. Their backgrounds were no longer transparent, but instead were black. Maybe that helps? Idk, just a suggestion.

Horst

Post by Horst »

I will never understand why poeple have a 2 pane file manager
but only use one pane like Explorer.
One pane makes simple basic operations complicated and error prone.
I can live without a tree display but never with only one pane.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

sl23

Post by sl23 »

It's new to me and I literally forgot about it! :oops:
I only ever used one pane, as used to using Cubic explorer for 10 years, still do really. It's just odd occasions where I needed the extra pane. Like now, where I needed to compare several thousand files in hundreds of folders. I couldn't do a file comparison check as one set had different names.

I did find tho that using two panes causes me to have to wait for some operations, is there a way around that? Like doing copy/move/etc operations in new process.

Are there any disadvantages of doing so?

Sorry if I upset anyone, I was just trying to point out about the issues I was having, wasn't meant to come across as being pushy.

It does seem the problem was caused by using two file managers tho. As I've had no crashes since using just XYplorer in dual pane mode.

Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Horst wrote: 04 Jan 2022 10:43 I will never understand why poeple have a 2 pane file manager
And yet it's easy to understand: a file manager with two panels also requires 2 trees.

Horst

Post by Horst »

Delphine wrote: 04 Jan 2022 14:47
Horst wrote: 04 Jan 2022 10:43 I will never understand why poeple have a 2 pane file manager
And yet it's easy to understand: a file manager with two panels also requires 2 trees.
No, one for the active pane is enough
I also have Total Commander and it supports trees per pane.
I never need 2 trees and most of the time no tree at all.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Personally, I have never used a tree since departing from Windows explorer in 2008. I find them irritating and take up valuable screen space. But that's just my opinion :biggrin: Everyone has their own way of doing things, so for some it can be an invaluable tool.

Delphine

Post by Delphine »

Horst wrote: 04 Jan 2022 14:56 I also have Total Commander and it supports trees per pane.
I never need 2 trees and most of the time no tree at all.
Hello Horst
If Jurassic park is convenient for you ... Be happy.
And, overall, happy new year :party:

Loufubu7

Post by Loufubu7 »

Yeah I'm having the same problem. Within Several Hours it's closed on me probably 15 times yesterday and is continuing today. I'm doing extensive file keeping that not only involves moving files but also renaming in batches. It seems to really hate when I move files though and not so much with the renaming. I'm not even moving from one pane to the other. I'm only moving 4 or 5 files at a time but am working pretty quickly. When I go back into it it has things tagged that I untagged at the beginning of using it and will continue to do that at each start up after closing on me. Everything else I did is still there but I have to go back into where I was which can be frustrating after a while. Still, given all of the things this program can do, it shouldn't be closing out like this. The computer is a custom made gaming PC and can handle anything I throw at it so it appears to be the program itself. I've made sure it's up to date so if anyone has any ideas on anything I can check I would appreciate the help. I haven't had the program long and am still learning how to use it. Other than the closing out randomly, I love it. I did upgrade to Windows 11 but it was closing out before that. It may have made it worse though.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

To get the number one reason for crashes (faulty shell extensions) out of the way, tick this: Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

If I come across this again, I will try the suggestion. But for now, I finished my sorting using XY's Dual Pane mode and had no further issues, so until I have further mass file sorting needing to be done, I can't test this. But it's sort of good to know it's not just me, though sorry Loufubu7 is having issues.

Loufubu7

Post by Loufubu7 »

Yeah, I had a bad day today with it crashing every 30 seconds and while I tried several things here they didn't help. I was only selecting 4 files and batch renaming them but it seemed to have an issue specifically with the preview. Unfortunately, I need the preview so I couldn't turn that off. However, I went back through the thread and realized my machine is 64-bit after someone had mentioned it so I went into the shell integration and changed all of those settings to coincide with my machine and now it's doing things without even pausing. The setting for the previews was probably what was causing an issue but it could have been all of those in tandem. So if you're having similar issues (sl23) with crashing you may want to check those setting because there are several for different things for a 64-bit machine. So thank you RalphM for bringing that option to my attention. I knew there was a setting somewhere I just didn't know which ones to change. This PC is custom so it can be a bit finicky at first but thats why I love forums in general because someone will have the answer I need.