Missing Context Menu Item

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Mesh

Missing Context Menu Item

Post by Mesh »

On a Win 10 system where UltraEdit v28.20 (32-bit) was installed, the context menu for any selected file should include an entry for UltraEdit.

When using Windows Explorer, that context menu item shows properly, however, in XY, it doesn't appear at all.

Because it was the 32-bit version of UltraEdit that was installed, it should be on the normal context menu - not the 64-bit menu. However, I confirmed that it's not on the 64 bit menu either.

So there must be something different about their context menu addition that XY is not picking it up.
(Note that older versions of UltraEdit work fine with XY - but this version does not.)

highend

Re: Missing Context Menu Item

Post by highend »

Animation.gif
Animation.gif (999.86 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

I'm glad it's working on your system.

I'm not sure why it won't work on my system.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Doesn't work for me either in XY, but works in File Explorer.

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Gandolf wrote: 23 Dec 2021 08:26 Doesn't work for me either in XY, but works in File Explorer.
Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only person seeing this.

highend

Post by highend »

You have both of these marked sections in your registry?

The {b5ee....} is relevant
1.png
1.png (38.55 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Come off it highend, are you telling me that to get XY to work you have to hack the registry?

UltraEdit is a 64 bit application, there is nothing in my "C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\" directory. Actually, there is an "UpdaterLog.txt" dated 8-07-15 21:20:00, which must be the last time I used it in 32 bit mode. Hence, there is no x86 registry entry.

I do not intend to download 32 bit versions of programs just because XY is 20 years behind the times!! Furthermore, it is very bad practice to have 32bit AND 64bit version of the same application on the same system.

What is the point of XY having a 64bit context menu if it doesn't work with 64bit applications, unless there is a 32bit version of the application installed?

highend

Post by highend »

[ ] You've read the initial post
[ ] You've some computer knowledge

It's about the 32-bit version and there is no hacking involved, that's what UE does add to the registry *sigh*

Can you troll somewhere else please?

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I started in the early 1960 on valve computers, at the Post Office Research Station at Dollis Hill. The system I worked on was an updated version of the Colossus (which, as you may know, was used to crack the Lorenz cipher).

Since then I've worked on main-frames, minis etc... both hardware and software. I now do part-time work on Cyber security.

Gandolf wrote: 23 Dec 2021 10:22 UltraEdit is a 64 bit application, there is nothing in my "C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\" directory. Actually,...
I'm talking about MY system.

Just because you don't agree with my opinion, and my knowledge, doesn't give you the right to accuse me of trolling. I was on this forum long before you and, I believe, provide some useful information in the days when XY worked on my system.

I can only run XY now from a USB stick FRESH and in Trial mode. It won't run on my server, the hardware firewall sees it as attempting to access my system without my permission.

Sine you accuse me of trolling - I'll tell you something a fellow engineer at the B.B.C said about me some years ago. He had done something that I had told him would not work. He was disciplined by the management who asked him why he had not listened to me. His reply was "WHY IS (my real name) ALWAYS RIGHT".

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

highend

Post by highend »

I don't care when you started or what you did in the past. I judge what you're doing now.

You didn't even get the point...

The next time you're trolling I'll give you some time for all your other hobbies

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I don't see any point in replying to the obvious.

Other hobbies, in alphabetical order:

Cooking - enjoy that.
Dining in good quality restaurants - enjoy that even more!.
Drinking malt whisky, Armagnac or good red wine.
Electronics.
Gardening.
Horology.
Keyboard playing.
Mountaineering - don't do much of that now.
Photography.

Oh, and I still find time for trolling (or so you believe)!!!! I'll add that to my list, for future reference.

If you think that banning me from the forum will bother me, it won't.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Hey Gandolf, even if you're a bit angry, you could/should look on what was written.
  • Mesh reported problem on 32bit
  • you said you've the same
  • highend told what to look in registry for 32bit
  • you complained that it wouldn't fit your 64bit
As long as you don't notice this there's no forthcomming...

By the way: even if you haven't to hack registry for XY to work, to look at this helps to show that maybe it's UltrEdits fault.
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

highend

Post by highend »

@PeterH
Facts don't count here
If you think that banning me from the forum will bother me, it won't.
Good to hear that!

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I've e-mailed Don, ask him what I have written.

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Highend, yes, I have both sections in my registry.

However, while the WOW6432Node\CLSID section points to ue32ctmn.dll, the main CLSID section points to ue64ctmn.dll.

So I'm thinking that Windows Explorer is utilizing ue64ctmn.dll, which is working fine. But XY is trying to use ue32ctmn.dll, which perhaps is not.

So maybe this is more of an UltraEdit issue rather than XY.