Cutting (moving) lots of files (10K+) becomes a copy operation out of the blue

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
1024mb

Cutting (moving) lots of files (10K+) becomes a copy operation out of the blue

Post by 1024mb »

I'm cutting (Ctrl+X, also getting the "XXXXX files cut to clipboard" message) more than 16,000 files and then pasting to the same drive (in another location, of course) but XYplorer makes this operation a Copy instead of a Move.

I get a window warning me that I don't have enough free space but what indicates most that this is now a Copy operation is the XYcopy window that says "Custom Copy" instead of "Custom Move", even so I tried just OKying everything to see what happens and yes, XYplorer starts to copy the files to the new location.
It has happened two times, the first time it happened I tried one more time and in this second try it did moved all the files (these were 15K files) without problem, in this second time I've tried several times but I keep getting the XYcopy window.
With 5000 files I had no problem.

This must be new because I moved all those thousand files not long ago (it must have been with version 20.30.0002 or something close but earlier) just fine, with 22.40.0238 and (I now tried) 22.50.0100 I'm getting this "bug".
Something to note here is that when I move all these amount of files XYcopy doesn't do the move operation, I get a Windows' progress window that does the moving.

EDIT: Tried selecting 10000 files and still getting the error wrong operation. Tried with 5989 files and it moved them all fine.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Cutting (moving) lots of files (10K+) becomes a copy operation out of the blue

Post by admin »

Just did it with 40,000 files. No problems (apart from feeling pity for the poor clipboard).

1024mb

Re: Cutting (moving) lots of files (10K+) becomes a copy operation out of the blue

Post by 1024mb »

admin wrote: 26 Nov 2021 18:04 feeling pity for the poor clipboard
:lol:

I've tried again and it seems it doesn't happen with a normal instance but if you open a read-only one and try to move the files this problem does happens, at least on my end it's happening. I didn't mentioned before because I didn't realized it was happening only in the throw away instance.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could not repro it with throw away either.

Anyway, try if v22.50.0103 is any better.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

I'm still getting the same behavior. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have the box to create log files ticked? Naah, I tried unticking it, same behavior, XYplorer still tries to copy the files

These are my settings just in case:

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

Something to add: In these tests I've been doing, particularly in this last one the tags have been duplicated, I will explain.

The files I'm trying to move, some of them, are tagged (well-mostly labeled) so in this last attempt I made, though I did it in the read-only instance, it updated the tag file anyway. I'm pretty sure about this because after trying to move the files and failing in the read-only instance I changed to the normal one and in the status bar it said something like "tag database updated" (can't remember the exact text but it was informing that the tags had been updated) so I went to the config dialog to see what this all was about and saw 1. the tagged files number increased and 2. that the tags of the files that I was trying to move duplicated to what-it-would-have-been the new location. i.e.: The entry "X:\dir1\subir1\taggedfile-01.ext |2||||||" duplicated to "X:\taggedfile-01.ext |2||||||" (the root, location where I'm trying to move the files)

I could check this because 1. the original files that didn't move still had their tags in it and 2. these duplicated entries were in the orphaned files list (they didn't exist because I didn't ended up moving the files).

And now that this has happened I tried once more to move the files and it moved them successfully so the tags might have something to do with it. I can think only that as the tags where already set in the new location the "bug" didn't trigger.

Update: OK, yes, the tag database updating is indeed happening. After moving the files in the read-only instance I went to check the amount of files tagged and it dropped to the amount it was before the tags were duplicated so the read-only file is editing the tag.dat file when -as far as I understand- it shouldn't.

Update2: Yes, it has to be the tagged files, now that I'm trying to move the files back to their original location I'm getting the copy behavior (and this isn't the read-only instance).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow! I didn't want to believe it, but you're right. The tags DB is updated after a move even in a read-only instance. Fix comes.

Still I cannot get the copy behavior.

Let's see if you can with the next beta.

highend

Post by highend »

Mh, I've tried to cut and paste 50k files (in 0103, a read-only clone). No tagging involved

For whatever reason I got the cutting 50.000 items to clipboard, and because nothing else happened I went into the destination folder 30 seconds laster and ctrl+v them.
Status bar message: Nothing to paste

???

Afterwards the clipboard was broken. I can't copy anything to it anymore...

When I now execute #216
I get an error 9 from XY: Index ausserhalb des gueltigen Bereichs

I need a reboot to fix the clipboard^^
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, tested 40,000 again. No problem. Will check 50,000 later...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

50,000 okay.

Try to untick Configuration | File Operations | Undo & Action Log | Clipboard | Log clipboard contents and enable restore

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

@admin If you paste those 50k files with the context menu rather than ctrl+v, how long does it take for that menu to show up?
PS: When I paste 50k files through the context menu Right-click on white in file list set up to Pop up folder's context menu it shows up instantly, whereas if it set up to Pop up Edit menu it takes 26 seconds for it to show up.
PPS: Edit in Main Menu freezes as well with 50k files in clipboard.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

@admin With 22.50.0105 all is working without issues. I don't get the copy behavior anymore and the original tags db isn't updating when in read-only anymore.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Evolve wrote: 27 Nov 2021 20:39 @admin If you paste those 50k files with the context menu rather than ctrl+v, how long does it take for that menu to show up?
PS: When I paste 50k files through the context menu Right-click on white in file list set up to Pop up folder's context menu it shows up instantly, whereas if it set up to Pop up Edit menu it takes 26 seconds for it to show up.
PPS: Edit in Main Menu freezes as well with 50k files in clipboard.
Much faster in v22.50.0106.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote: 27 Nov 2021 20:00 Try to untick Configuration | File Operations | Undo & Action Log | Clipboard | Log clipboard contents and enable restore
Not necessary anymore in v22.50.0106.

Evolve

Post by Evolve »

admin wrote: 28 Nov 2021 13:53 Much faster in v22.50.0106.
Confirmed! Edit menu (both main and context) loads instantly even with 100k files in the clipboard. Now we're talking!