paperfolder showing files in breadcrumb

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jupe

paperfolder showing files in breadcrumb

Post by jupe »

I apologize up front for this bug report lacking substance.

This is an issue that I haven't seen for a long time, so I assume it is new, my inkling is its since PFAllowInTree (which I haven't enabled yet though), I can't repeat it in fresh yet, but is readily reproducible in my normal config, I thought maybe if I show you the screenshot you may have an idea of the cause. Some info if relevant: I am using MaxiTree but my paperfolder root is in a location that is hidden from the tree when hidden folders are disabled, which I do have hidden, eg. %APPDATA%\XYplorer\Data

2021-11-24_100034.png
2021-11-24_100034.png (38.48 KiB) Viewed 772 times

with the above screenshot the filenames match between list/BC/file on disk, but if I am reusing an old paperfolder file with explicit save enabled, then the filenames shown in the BC are from the file on disk not the temporary filenames.

Also other recent issues seem to be present in PF, like sometimes when I try to make a paperfolder it is just blank, but toggling a couple settings and rerunning the same script and it works, I think this could possibly have something to do with having "Hide Folders in List" enabled, but this issue is intermittent (assume race condition?) and I think it has been around longer, I suspect it may also be conditional on me having Explicit Save enabled, I also can't repeat this in fresh though, or at least lock down repro steps.

admin
Site Admin

Re: paperfolder showing files in breadcrumb

Post by admin »

1) ATM I'm not able to reproduce it. (But I did not try very hard, I will look into it again later.)

2) Same here. I'll keep an eye open.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Could repro it now. I assume you unticked "Check for subfolders" in the BC ctx menu?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yes I have that unchecked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's fixed in v22.50.0001, right?

jupe

Post by jupe »

You beat me to finding repro steps, I was going to try and find some time today to narrow it down, I only created the post because I thought you might immediately know the cause, anyway, yes it looks fixed. :cup:

However issue #2 with blank paperfolders happens to me nearly every session, I realize you haven't addressed that yet though, but def think it could be related to the things I mentioned initially, anyway that's a separate issue and wasn't the purpose of this topic/thread.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

2) What script do you use to make a PF?

jupe

Post by jupe »

It happens with any paperfolder scripts, but it is intermittent, for example:

paperfolder("TEMP", <xy>);

Now that works in fresh fine, but in my normal config I get a blank pane the first time I run it after XY launch, rerunning it immediately and it works from then on, (but I think issue may reappear later, can't confirm definitively currently though) If I open throw away clone, any paperfolder script run is blank first time run, consistently. Actually after further testing just now I noticed that if I launch XY already in a paperfolder (eg. readonlyhere) then I don't get a blank paperfolder first time running a PF script, but if I start in a normal directory and run the script, then I do, so its like something isn't being initialized after XY launch, but why then it works in fresh IDK, maybe one of the conditions is that explicit save is already enabled at launch.

I will keep trying to get repro steps, if nothing is an obvious cause from what I just wrote, then don't spend too much time on it, eventually I might notice the causation.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tried all your methods but it never failed. :| (On Win8.1)

jupe

Re: paperfolder showing blank pane

Post by jupe »

I just managed to get repro steps :party:
FYI it also happens under other circumstances though, but maybe
resolving it in the below scenario will also fix my mystery cases.
  • fresh;
  • Ctrl+T New Tab
  • Enable PF Explicit Save
  • lock tab #2 (curtab)
  • make tab #1 default
  • run script: paperfolder("TEMP", <xy>);
  • result == blank pane
I wrote a quick repro script if it helps, just run it in fresh:

Code: Select all

tab("default");
  tab("new");
  tab("lock");
  paperfolder( ,,, "oe1");
  paperfolder("TEMP", <xy>);
Alternatively, below is a oneliner to run from your current XY instance addressbar:

::run """<xy>"" /fresh /script=""::#341;#340;#350;paperfolder(3:='oe1');paperfolder('TEMP', '<xy>');"""

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Repro script! That should be the standard for bug reports from now on! :tup: :beer: ;)

I could see it and fix it. Ironically it was caused by a fix following another of your reports:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23249

Now both issues seem to be fixed.

jupe

Post by jupe »

This doesn't quite seem fixed properly using explicit save, when the paperfolder already exists I am getting the files on disk shown, not the temporary ones. An example:

paperfolder( ,,, "oe1");
  paperfolder("RANDOM88", <xy>);        // PF FILE GETS AUTO CREATED & SAVED
  paperfolder("RANDOM88", <xytagdat>);  // REUSING PF FILE SHOWS FILE ON DISK CONTENT (in this case <xy>)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep. New fix coming.

jupe

Post by jupe »

This looks fixed since v22.50.0110. :appl: