Slow loading of cached folder sizes

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
PlasticMaterial

Slow loading of cached folder sizes

Post by PlasticMaterial »

I recently updated from 21.10 to the most recent version 22.30 and noticed that something seems to have changed which makes displaying a large number of folders' cached sizes much slower. I tried it with a fresh install of 22.30 just to be sure there wasn't some problem from me updating such an old build.

Try to reproduce:

-run a fresh or old copy of 22.30 portable (I have no reason to believe it's specific to the portable version, but that's what I use)
-enter or make a directory with about 500 folders, filling them with files or not makes no difference I think. (I attached 500 empty folders in a zip if you'd like to be spared from a bit of copy pasting)
512emptyfolders.zip
(79.77 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
-General>Tree and List>List>check "always show folder sizes" and "cache folder sizes"
-wait a few seconds for it to cache all the folders
-enter a different folder, or switch to a different tab, then return to the folder with a bunch of folders.
bonus:
-sort everything by "size" and repeat the last step. It becomes even worse.

Expected behavior:
Slow initial scan, then intimidate display of cached folder size on subsequent visits.

Actual behavior:
Slow initial scan, and slightly less slow subsequent scan.

The cache is clearly doing something because subsequent scans are slightly faster and have the squiggly line implying it is in fact a cached result, but it is still very slow. If you'd like to, try the same test on 21.10 (possibly later too, I haven't tried anything between 21.10 and 22.30) and the folders as well as their cached sizes will load instantly

The problem is even worse on my normal installs than the empty test install. For example, I have one folder with only 200 folders inside of it and it takes about 5 seconds to "gather folder sizes" and freezes the pane while doing so. Any more than that and I basically just have to disable folder sizes.

Any help/advice with this issue is very much appreciated.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Slow loading of cached folder sizes

Post by admin »

1) Note that empty folders are never cached (reason: emptiness is such an important information that you rather always want live data). Could that explain it?

2) Is Autosize Columns activated in your list?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I checked 21.10 and your are right! :tup: It's MUCH faster. Going to fix... :twisted:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Note that currently it makes a big difference whether the list is sorted by Size or not. This will be fixed in the next beta.

PlasticMaterial

Post by PlasticMaterial »

Oh nice, looks like you already found the issue. I'll look out for the next beta ..and you already fixed it, amazing. I just tested out the latest beta and it's as speedy as before, thanks! :biggrin: