MTP transfer DATA LOSS

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
hylianloach

MTP transfer DATA LOSS

Post by hylianloach »

I don't understand how this bug hasn't been fixed. MTP transfers can cause data loss on XYPlorer. It doesn't happen on Windows Explorer.

You simply select "cut" and "paste" from a phone. I did this on my Pixel 4. I lost over 20 photos, permanently deleted from my phone when XYPlorer decided to crash (WHICH IT DOES FREQUENTLY IN THIS PROCESS). I had done this process before on my GoPro, and only today I checked and found out that a huge amount of videos had been missing too.

This is the most nasty buggy process and I've lost a huge amount of valuable photos which I'll never be able to recover. Is this going to be fixed?? No refund can restore the memories that this piece of shit has decided to delete. This is insane.

Thank you for ruining my day.

hylianloach

Re: MTP transfer DATA LOSS

Post by hylianloach »

Yeah so I distinctly recall having 166 photos and this thing only copied over 100 and deleted all the originals. This the the worst, these were invaluable photos of my wife's 30th and a lot of other photos, including some very specific ones we really wanted to keep for the future.

Absolutely disgusting, is it that hard to implement a safe copy+delete when a move is executed, as opposed to having me do it manually? Jesus f'n christ.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

It looks like a similar thing that happened to me some years ago. I lost EDL's, which cost me tens of thousands of pounds, when XY moved them to a different location to where it claimed they were moved to.
I, and a lot of other people, stopped using it at that point.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh dear, I understand your rage.

But note that MTP transfer is handled by Windows, not by XYplorer. Whatever went wrong, it happened after the processing left XYplorer and before it returned to it. XYplorer does nothing more than telling Windows: "Move these files from here to here!"

The unreliability of MTP is well known and your case confirms it again. As a result I will add a warning now to the Configuration | General | Tree and List | Items in Tree and List | Show portable devices checkbox.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I transfer data regularly between the computer and two 'phones - a Nokia and an iPhone - using other file managers (NOT File Explorer). No problems, and I've been doing it for years.

Why does XY find it so difficult?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just managed to lose two photos using File Explorer for a move from hard disk to phone, no XY involved. (Just test pics, of course.)