[FIXED!] Reproducible hang (switch to/retry dialog)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JLoftus

[FIXED!] Reproducible hang (switch to/retry dialog)

Post by JLoftus »

Hi Don,

I just stumbled across a reproducible hang, resulting in the infamous "Switch to / retry" dialog.

I was editing some music, and I had cut the contents out of a WAV file, leaving it empty (zero seconds duration). The file shows as just 4.99 KB, but the file contains no audio.

The moment that file gets focus, XY hangs, showing the "Switch to" dialog if anything else is clicked. I am assuming this may have something to do with preview or info handling.

Please see the attached WAV file. I had to zip the file to upload it, the forum complained about uploading a wav file. Let me know if you are able to reproduce the hang.

Thanks

Jeff
Attachments
EMPTY_WAV_FILE.7z
(1 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by JLoftus on 21 Oct 2021 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Re: Reproducible hang (switch to/retry dialog)

Post by highend »

With what, active preview pane?

Nope, the latest official release (::fresh;) doesn't hang with / without the preview pane open when the .wav file gets focus...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

No, I don't have the preview pane shown. strange, it only hangs when selecting the empty file. I just deleted it using Windows Exploder so I can carry on working in that folder

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

well, I've now been chasing for hours the same "Switch to/retry" dialog with another folder, this was was in a folder with JPG files in details view, that was hanging when I would hover over one of them.

I started with a fresh XY instance, and of course, no hang. Then slowly began copying in all the resources from the installation that's exhibiting the hang, and all the way through, it works fine.

then I started an arduous effort of comparing the XYplorer.ini files, merging in diffed change after change. I got a few hundred diffs in when I just happened to switch to another tab, this one in thumbnails view and contains mostly GIF files. The hang happened, where it did not happen with the JPG files (and a few hundred ini diffs merged in). This is making me think the problem is with thumbnails.

I emptied out the thumbnails folder and reopened XY to the folder containing the GIFs, as soon as I started mousing around, the hang happened. I haven't really nailed down what's causing this but it seems now it may actually be related to thumbnails? I'm not sure how I reproduced this yesterday so repeatedly in the folder with the empty WAV file.

All told, I've had to kill XY because of the Switch to/retry dialog probably a hundred times. Surely I am not the only person encountering this, especially if it's a new thing related to the recent thumbnails work, someone else will probably report it too.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

I've narrowed down at least portion of the problem to the hover box. If I disable the hover box, JPG files no longer cause the "Switch to" hang. I am still able to reproduce the hang over the empty WAV file, so that's something else, but disabling the hover box fixes the hang on JPG files. I use that all the time, so I am hoping I or someone else figures out some aspect of this causing problems. This is Win11 Pro.

More info: If I deselect image file types, the hover box works fine, as it always has.
Also, MDBU works fine, both instant with M1 and sustained with M2, even on JPG files.

highend

Post by highend »

I have no such problems with the hover box on .jpg files...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

I know, as I had no problems forever as well. Now it's a problem, or I wouldn't have spent several hours trying to find the cause. I have definitely narrowed to the hover box with JPG files, as if I ignore that filetype, it works fine. Since nothing about that aspect of my configuration has changed, possibly it relates to Windows 11, IDK.

Someone else will report this, eventually. Odds of me being the only person are likely low.

JLoftus

[FIXED!] Re: Reproducible hang (switch to/retry dialog)

Post by JLoftus »

Don, 22.30.0202 fixed this problem!

I tested this for many more hours, using many variations of hoverbox and infobox settings, but on image files, movie files, and PDFs, always the same "Switch to" hang. Did not happen on MDBU but only on hoverbox.

This latest build fixed it! THANK YOU!

admin
Site Admin

Re: [FIXED!] Reproducible hang (switch to/retry dialog)

Post by admin »

Cool, but I did NOTHING about it. :ninja: