Unexpected results from searches

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
iaseac

Unexpected results from searches

Post by iaseac »

Unexpected results from searches.
Using F3 and /d I should get 'folders only' I think.
If I use /d/r or n ...then the answer should remain limited to folders - I think.

I'm using the latest:

v22.30.0100 - 2021-10-04 20:00
= MAINTENANCE RELEASE.
+++ Minor bug fixes and enhancements.

A lot of work was clearly done - yet no 'final' documentation or update needed as a result. Just asking.
Attachments
Slash d finding lots of non folders 27888.jpg
Slash d finding lots of non folders 27888.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 448 times

jupe

Re: Unexpected results from searches

Post by jupe »

You are using QuickSearch switches wrong, your search would need to be /dr or /dn (/r is unecessary though because it is default), and the order of letters is uninportant /nd would work too, as you can see when combining individual letter switches they need only 1 forwardslash.

All of the QuickSearch stuff has been documented always, as per usual you just need to look at the help file, where had you at least looked at the examples they would have alerted you that how you are entering the term with double forward slashes isn't correct.

The top item in the Main Topics section of the help file is QuickSearch, nice and easy to find for those that look, so if you use the Help menu > Contents and Index > Contents Tab > Main Topics > QuickSearch, or alternatively type Quick Search in on the Index tab of the help file. Using the same procedure also works for other features you are just guessing how to use.

iaseac

Re: Unexpected results from searches

Post by iaseac »

Hi Jupe,
Thank you for answering the post. I think of your posts as being some of the best and most thoughtful of say about three people here. I am moved by your statements to the effect that, in your opinion, people are slow to actually use the Help or F1 files. From my point of view, we all have priorities as to what we do and where we spend time. F1 files must be sold – just like programs and anything else.
We all want instant gratification and is a quick google better, or faster, than that F1. What was any earlier experience like? Did it turn out to be a long and slow scenic route. How much outdated or useless info was met etc.
In this case I asked for just three printed pages about searching – I ended up getting all fifteen pages.
I see the /r declared obsolete since v15.60. At the time, I am sure that the thoughtful person who wrote that re-evaluated all say 15 or so pages for further revisions being required and made all the necessary changes.
I see more than two additional /r reinstating the “r” function with discussion and forgetting to remove the archaic v15.60 note. Or what - sort of like an incomplete sentence...
/i