Folder Thumbnails - first image/video file used before any JPEG/PNG

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Alex1331xela

Folder Thumbnails - first image/video file used before any JPEG/PNG

Post by Alex1331xela »

v22.20.0204 - 2021-09-12 11:46

+ Configuration | Preview | Thumbnails | Show folder thumbnails: Now if none of initial strategies find a thumbnail ("Desktop.ini"; "folder.jpg", "folder.png"; any JPEG or PNG) the first image or video file is used for the thumbnail.
Although I love this addition, I've noticed an issue. The first image or video file is being used for the thumbnail before any JPEG or PNG file is (aka the order now seems to wrongly be "Desktop.ini"; "folder.jpg", "folder.png"; the first image or video file). This is happening on the latest official version of XYplorer (22.30) as well as the latest beta version as of posting (22.30.0004).

Example where the "folder.jpg" is used for the thumbnail of the folder even though there is video file that is named to appear first (proper behaviour):
folder.jpg and video file.png
folder.jpg and video file.png (11.7 KiB) Viewed 902 times
results in:
folder.jpg and video file thumbnail result.png
folder.jpg and video file thumbnail result.png (7.42 KiB) Viewed 902 times

Example where the video file is used for the thumbnail even though there is a JPEG that should take precedence (improper behaviour):
video file and png file.png
video file and png file.png (11.77 KiB) Viewed 902 times
results in:
video file and png file thumbnail result.png
video file and png file thumbnail result.png (6.39 KiB) Viewed 902 times

klownboy

Re: Folder Thumbnails - first image/video file used before any JPEG/PNG

Post by klownboy »

Maybe you've misread the release note. XYplorer will use the first image or video file only if there is no image specified in the desktop.ini file or there is no image file with the name folder.jpg or folder.png file present. That's what is working for me anyway. In your 2nd example with "second.jpg", there is no "folder.jpg" or "folder.png", so XYplorer is true to the release notes in using "first.mp4".
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

Alex1331xela

Post by Alex1331xela »

It is definitely possible that I've misread the release note, but how I've interpreted it is that XYplorer's initial strategies of finding a thumbnail (in order of precedence) are supposed to be from a "desktop.ini" file, then from a "folder.jpg" file, then from a "folder.png" file, and then from any JPEG or PNG file. Then, only if none of those initial strategies are met, is the first image or video file used for the thumbnail.

In practice, the initial strategy of "any JPEG or PNG" as listed in the release note is not used/not working properly. It is totally possible that how it's currently working is the intentional behaviour, but I'm reporting it because how it's currently working isn't the same as how I interpret the release note to mean.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Honestly I can now see why you have a problem. The release notes are misleading. See viewtopic.php?p=146254#p146254 The order is from 2017:
Don stated: Whoops, you are right! The order of precedence is:

1) desktop.ini / [ViewState] Logo=
2) folder.jpg
3) folder.png
4) folder.gif
5) *.jpg/*.png (alphabetically first JPG, if none then first PNG)
6) desktop.ini / [.ShellClassInfo] IconFile=
After folder.JPG or folder.PNG files, XYplorer always used the first JPG/PNG (alphabetically in the folder). I think if you look at the recent thread on incorporating video thumbnails here viewtopic.php?p=190737#p190737, I believe what Don has done is group video files into the same order (#5 above) as the first image file in the folder. So #5 above is now first image or video file in the folder if "folder.xxx" is not present. It was never "any" image file. It was the first image file. Video files were not included previously.

Don please correct me if I'm wrong. I have no problem with the way it is, but I can see why this question arose (i.e., it's not any JPG/PNG image file in the folder and then the first image or video file, it's simply the first video / jpg / png file in the folder).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agreed, this can be improved. Next beta:

Code: Select all

* Configuration | Preview | Thumbnails | Show folder thumbnails: Slightly 
      changed the order of precedence when asked which file is used for the 
      folder's thumbnail:
        1.  desktop.ini
              [ViewState]
              Logo=[this file]
        2.  folder.jpg, folder.jpeg, folder.png, or folder.gif (in that order)
        3.  The first image file among the alphabetically first 50 files.
        4.  The first video file among the alphabetically first 50 files.
      The limitation of only checking 50 files is due to performance reasons 
      (imagine a folder of 50,000 TXT files, we don't want to waste too much 
      time on this).

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Thanks Don. I did a couple of quick tests with v22.30.0006 and XYplorer seems to be following the new order of precedence rules. :tup:

Alex1331xela

Post by Alex1331xela »

I can second that the new order of precedence is working perfectly, thanks Don! :tup:
Last edited by Alex1331xela on 20 Oct 2021 06:10, edited 1 time in total.