Special Property col in large branch view hangs XY

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JLoftus

Special Property col in large branch view hangs XY

Post by JLoftus »

I've been trying to work in a large branch view (>200,000 files) with an additional list view column of type "Special Property" (value "Tag Title) ...

The branch view loads fine with ~235,000 files... but as soon as I add the Tag Title special property, it begins scanning and hangs.

This reproducibly hangs XY after scanning approximately 60,000-80,000 files. Einstein's "Definition of insanity"... I've tried this at least 20 times, and XY hangs every time.

This machine is a Ryzen 3950x with 16 cores and 128GB RAM, so I'm pretty sure it's not a resource issue.

Edit: Reproduced same hang using another special property, "Tag Album", although that loaded many more items before hanging, ~174,000 (also of note, as an aspect of my tagging practices, if there are any tags, they're all there, i.e. if the Title tag is present, then the Album tag is also present. Further of note, the Album tag is in most cases more characters than the Title tag, yet the Album Special Property scanned twice as many items before hanging, if that means anything)

JLoftus

Re: Special Property col in large branch view hangs XY

Post by JLoftus »

I replaced the Special Property with Property "title", and the scan completed, but of note, it took a very long time, many minutes.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

As was suggested in one of your other posts about this "huge" branch view, have you tried to set the trigger for this special column to "list"?
This would however not work if you want to sort by that special column.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

I worked around this by using Highend's suggestion of an Extra Column instead of the Special Property of the ID3 tag. It was some work to script copying thousands of tags across 11,000 folders, but once I automated the process it went quickly.

The loading of a large number of extended tags does cause XY to hang, but doing it this way works around that issue, and, it's much faster anyway.