0X8000FFFF Catastrophic Failure While Undoing File Move

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Autechre

0X8000FFFF Catastrophic Failure While Undoing File Move

Post by Autechre »

I was in the process of undoing a move of files from my PC to an SD card that's in a Samsung phone connected via USB when I suddenly get the error "0X8000FFFF Catastrophic Failure".

This also resulted in a complete loss of the files. All that remains is an empty folder on my PC.

What could possibly have happened?

Windows 10 Pro Ver. 21H1
Xyplorer Ver. 21.90

admin
Site Admin

Re: 0X8000FFFF Catastrophic Failure While Undoing File Move

Post by admin »

"... in the process of undoing ..." what exactly did you do?

Autechre

Post by Autechre »

I had completely moved a folder from my PC to the phone. I then changed my mind and decided to undo the move. I used "actions back history" in the toolbar to do so. Halfway through the error popped up and the file transfer dialog disappeared.

Result: Empty folder in PC and no folder or files on phone. (by this I mean only the specific folder I was dealing with, nothing else was affected)

Additional Info: I have the custom copy handler enabled but all file transfers to SD card on phone via USB always use the Windows Explorer.

Could it be that my phone locked the screen (screen timeout) and interrupted the transfer? I say this because I cannot access my phone's internal storage nor SD card until I unlock the phone.

Very curious. Have you encountered a situation like this before?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, I have never encountered a situation like this before (nor have I seen this error message). And I don't know how it is possible for files to disappear after moving them. In Windows the source file of a (cross-volume / cross-device) move is only removed when the move is complete (when all bytes are copied). Everything else would be madness. Those files have to be somewhere.

And yes, all transfers to phone or similar portable devices use the standard Windows copy machine (which supports the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP)), not XY's Custom Copy.