Preview Video Not Working

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Tanker IP

Preview Video Not Working

Post by Tanker IP »

I have had this problem for a very long time and today decided to work on it. The video (mp4) plays but only audio comes out. The preview area shows a "screen area" but it is blank. The screen area size and dimension do change depending on the size of video selected (i.e. 720x480 or 360x240, etc).
I downloaded and installed K-lite Codec pack today (standard version) hoping it would fix the problem. Still nothing.

I can still play the video by double clicking on the files. Before today the default was VLC - now its MHC. I can fix this later. I have tried older avi files and vob files -- same action: Audio but no Video the preview screen window.

I downloaded and installed upgrade to 21.08 hoping that it would install a 64-bit version. I thought the download page said it would install either 32 or 64 bit as appropriate. The version as reported by Task Manager is still 32 bit. But maybe that really does not make a difference. Oh well.

This problem has been around for a long time for a lot people, I have scanned the forum and cannot find a suggestion that will work for me. Some people have had success; I thought the K-Lite would help like it did others, but no..........

Horst

Re: Preview Video Not Working

Post by Horst »

If you provide a link to such a video I can try on my system with K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1620_Standard
and MPC-HC
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

Tanker IP

Post by Tanker IP »

>Horst...thanks but it's not any one, particular, video. It is all videos: downloaded movies, home videos, video from tablets...alll.
I checked two other computers (they are laptops) that I have -- all windows 10.

One older has Xyplorer v 18 installed. It plays videos just fine without a hitch.

On very new with v 21 installed will play a video at all. Not even the audio portion. But it does display a thumbnail frm the video. What is that?

Is there a possibility that VLC player is causing this? When vlc is installed does it carry with it video codecs that impede the use of other codecs by other programs?

Horst

Post by Horst »

Tanker IP wrote: 02 Jun 2021 18:20 >Horst...thanks but it's not any one, particular, video. It is all videos: downloaded movies, home videos, video from tablets...alll.
I checked two other computers (they are laptops) that I have -- all windows 10.

One older has Xyplorer v 18 installed. It plays videos just fine without a hitch.

On very new with v 21 installed will play a video at all. Not even the audio portion. But it does display a thumbnail frm the video. What is that?

Is there a possibility that VLC player is causing this? When vlc is installed does it carry with it video codecs that impede the use of other codecs by other programs?
The VLC codecs are not changing anything for the installed codecs in Windows.
I had VLC installed before I moved to MPC-HC with the K-Lite Standard package.
Did you try this ?
Its easy to install and can be uninstalled with no problems.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

I had issues some time ago with VLC not playing my home videos, but it's since been fixed. I always thought the files were corrupt, but after a year I found that it must've been a bug or something with VLC.

Horst

Post by Horst »

sl23 wrote: 02 Jun 2021 18:55 I had issues some time ago with VLC not playing my home videos, but it's since been fixed. I always thought the files were corrupt, but after a year I found that it must've been a bug or something with VLC.
And how is this related to the posters problems ?

highend

Post by highend »

@Tanker IP

Execute fresh; from the address bar. Does it behave in the same way as your normal version?

Enable these two:
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Use 64-bit preview handlers for preview
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Fall back to preview handlers of the other bitness
Still a no?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

sl23

Post by sl23 »

it was just to point out that a codec could be the issue. Sorry for interfering

Tanker IP

Post by Tanker IP »

>Highend

I tried the configuration changes you suggested on my one laptop that I have had trouble with. It still did the same thing when I selected a video: The preview window showed a still image and the data to the right said "Previewed as a thumbnail" I checked the Config|Preview| ... Autoplay is selected.

I will try your suggestion on my desktop computer to see if it might help that computer. Thanks for suggestion anyway.

Tanker IP

Post by Tanker IP »

UPDATE I have been trying various configurations. I uninstalled, re-installed, loaded the K-lite files, etc. Then after rechecking I see that preview works correctly with .AVI files. It does not work with MP4 and MKV video files. When those latter two files are selected, the preview will display "Loading" then it switches to "Cannot decode".

Anybody have a suggestion here?

Next I will go my other computers and check if their response is exactly the same as this laptop.

highend

Post by highend »

the preview will display "Loading" then it switches to "Cannot decode"
As long as e.g. .mkv is in
Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats | [x] Video Files
and nowhere else and it's entry in it is checked

it's probably still a codec problem if it can't be decoded anymore

That you can still play files via VLC is totally normal because it brings its own codecs and is not using the system ones.

Can you still play such a non decodable .mkv in Windows Media Player?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Horst

Post by Horst »

You may try to assign the video formats which are not correctly previewed to the
Windows Media Player Rich Preview Handler
Use the Preview Handler Association Editor.
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/archiv ... ion-editor
Screenshot - 05.06.2021 , 15_22_14.png
Screenshot - 05.06.2021 , 15_22_14.png (12.56 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Remove the "Only show ..." option and assign the additional extensions.
Its working without any restarts.
XYplorer preview will then hopefully show a Media player screen and you can push the start button.

Tanker IP

Post by Tanker IP »

UPDATE #2 Well, well........ My WMP is not working it seems. At least here on my desktop. It freezes everytime I try to play something.

Question: Is Xyplorer preview for videos supposed to be tied/linked to Windows Media Player in some fashion? If I get my Windows Media Player working, then I have a better chance of having XYplorer running correctly in preview?

Thanks to highend and horst for their contributions.

Horst

Post by Horst »

Tanker IP wrote: 05 Jun 2021 16:33 UPDATE #2 Well, well........ My WMP is not working it seems. At least here on my desktop. It freezes everytime I try to play something.

Question: Is Xyplorer preview for videos supposed to be tied/linked to Windows Media Player in some fashion? If I get my Windows Media Player working, then I have a better chance of having XYplorer running correctly in preview?

Thanks to highend and horst for their contributions.
For me there is a link to the Windows Media player if I assign the extensions as explained above.
Without this XY previews the video without any Media player screen and without the need to hit a start button.
The Windows media player works fine for all sort of videos after the setup of the K-Lite package which includes to support the player.
I don't use it as the MPC-HD is much better for me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the Preview tab (F12) XY attempts to view videos directly through quartz.dll (aka DirectShow). In the Preview Pane (Ctrl+F11) it goes via WMP. (Unless tweaked otherwise)