Back navigation not working correctly

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
sl23

Back navigation not working correctly

Post by sl23 »

Hi, Since I've started using XYplorer recently I have found that backward navigation goes to the root first then clicking again goes up as it should have done first.

For example, I open a new tab navigate to E:\Documents\Pictures all is fine. But every time I go to navigate back using my mouses back button or even using the toolbar back button, it goes to E:\ first. Clicking back a second time navigates to the E:\Documents folder as it should have done on the first click. Every time back navigation is used, this happens, it seems to only happen on E:\ though, which is an external USB hard drive.

Are my settings wrong or is this a bug?

Thank you for any help offered :tup:

Horst

Re: Back navigation not working correctly

Post by Horst »

sl23 wrote: 24 May 2021 18:36 Hi, Since I've started using XYplorer recently I have found that backward navigation goes to the root first then clicking again goes up as it should have done first.

For example, I open a new tab navigate to E:\Documents\Pictures all is fine. But every time I go to navigate back using my mouses back button or even using the toolbar back button, it goes to E:\ first. Clicking back a second time navigates to the E:\Documents folder as it should have done on the first click. Every time back navigation is used, this happens, it seems to only happen on E:\ though, which is an external USB hard drive.

Are my settings wrong or is this a bug?

Thank you for any help offered :tup:
The Toolbar back button contains a list of previous locations with the root on top of the list.
So if you simple click the button it will go to the root.
Clicking on the small arrow on it opens the menu with all entries to select from.
The better way to simply go back one level is the backspace key on the keyboard.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3447)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thank you for the tip Horst :tup:

The trouble is that I actually don't use the back button, I just tested it to see if it acted differently. It didn't.
I prefer a minimal interface so it remains hidden. I just use the mouse back button instead.

But why does it only work incorrectly when navigating the E:\?

Horst

Post by Horst »

sl23 wrote: 24 May 2021 19:08 Thank you for the tip Horst :tup:

The trouble is that I actually don't use the back button, I just tested it to see if it acted differently. It didn't.
I prefer a minimal interface so it remains hidden. I just use the mouse back button instead.

But why does it only work incorrectly when navigating the E:\?
Look on the list of the back button after making some drive and path changes and you will see the differences.
You may try to redefine your mouse button to send the real Backspace key.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

ok, I see what you mean, So why does it show the root first?
My mouse doesn't need reconfiguring in any of the other file managers I've tried that support back, and I honestly have tried them all over the years. So why does XY work differently? :?

Horst

Post by Horst »

sl23 wrote: 24 May 2021 23:03 ok, I see what you mean, So why does it show the root first?
My mouse doesn't need reconfiguring in any of the other file managers I've tried that support back, and I honestly have tried them all over the years. So why does XY work differently? :?
We will have to wait for the Author to answer this
but I think setting the Backspace key in the mouse would not break the function in other file managers.
I use Total Commander for example and Backspace works in TC and in XY

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thank you, but my mouse isn't configurable. :(

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I think 'back' goes to the previous seen location (in list).
So navigating in tree will not be remembered - until you select a folder, so it's shown in list pane.
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Maybe it's not "back", but "up" what you think of?
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

highend

Post by highend »

The first 5 buttons of every mouse are configurable...

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMo ... ontrol.htm
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

sl23

Post by sl23 »

PeterH wrote: 24 May 2021 23:59 I think 'back' goes to the previous seen location (in list).
So navigating in tree will not be remembered - until you select a folder, so it's shown in list pane.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

I do understand that Back goes to previously seen location, but This is how I have opened the folder to Pictures, for example:
NewTab - E:\
double clicked E:\Documents.
double clicked E:\Documents\Pictures.

So the last folder that was viewed was not the root E:\ but in fact E:\Documents.
Also, I do not use the Tree, only the List and Breadcrumb for navigation.

I tried using back goes Up first of all and reverted to back goes Back, as Up wasn't working for me as I wanted Favourites and Drives to open in a new tab, it caused confusion. Thanks to highend for kindly sharing the Favourites code, I am half way there, so I'll try reverting to Back goes Up and see if that solves the problem for me.

@highend: Thanks for the tip but I don't wish to use that program, however I am grateful for your assistance.