XYplorer does not load

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Richard_

XYplorer does not load

Post by Richard_ »

Just downloaded BETA (21.80...) replacing 70.104 and for some reason it does not launch.

The installation routine done many times by me is to install /extract zip to RAMdrive and then add extra files to this xyplorer folder, zip the whole folder and save on C:\.

Now every time I restart windows (which has to be more frequently than every 3 days) - the enhanced zip file is unziped to the RAMdrive and XYplorer is launched from the RAMdrive.

NOW launching XYplorer does not work - TaskBar shows a solid blue box and TaskView shows a solid black box.

Also for a little while now (about 2 weeks) - the digital key is not recognized by the program ("Trial version" watermark messages present).

So at the moment I cannot use XYplorer at all

Horst

Re: XYplorer does not load

Post by Horst »

What should be the benefit running XYplorer from a RAM drive ?
This just wastes memory and a file manager runs fine even from a slow hard drive.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@Admin

Thanks for "freezer suggestion - which works OK (but only when I had used Windows Control Panel Uninstall a program to uninstall the C:\ xyplorer\ app) - and this .70 version is now installed on the C:\xyplorer\ folder. The digital key works now (no Trial watermarks visible).

Soon I will try to install on RAMdrive and report back to you.

@Horst

Since my laptop is about 5 years old and bought second hand - I am investigating ways to reduce wear and tear on the solid state drive (PCIe 256 GB) - taking into consideration the TBW (Tera Bytes Written) situation. It is not possible to buy a new blank .PCIe card AND INSTALL Windows 10 on it (I have tried all sorts of ways - for technical reasons one cannot clone windows 10 onto a PCIe card). Also now windows prevents me to boot windows 10 from a internal solid state SATA drive - so now using the Windows PE (pre-installation environment) I cannot even boot windows. So unless I buy a genuine HP PCIe card (256 GB with windows installed) as a replacement part (the price I think is about US$900) - I am stuck with the present PCIe Windows card. One day I hope to buy a new even better laptop.

Meanwhile my laptop has 32 GB RAM of which I configure 10 GB as a RAMdrive - this still leaves plenty of memory (Windows 10 only seems to need at most 4 GB for its purposes).

Since I am trying to run as many applications as possible from the RAMdrive - I would expect less wear on my C:\ PCIe drive. Also since the RAMdrive is formatted as exFAT (not NTFS) - I would expect some speed increase since those journal $log files (a NTFS thing) are not being constantly updated every time a file is read from the C:\ and other drives (exception being RAMdrive is not journaled into the $logfile).

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Just to let you know...

I have SUCCESSFULLY configured now 21.80.002 for RAMdrive installation - and preliminary tests show NO PROBLEMS. The digital key works (no watermarks, trial days left). So I am back to "normal" (like one month ago). I do not know what went wrong as first stated - but a complete uninstall from the C:\xyplorer\ seemed to have solved the problem.

For those interested in knowing my configuration...

The BETA version was unzipped and installed to the RAMdrive (A:\) which is 10 GBytes. My memory is 32GB ( now minus 10 GB for RAMdrive).
To the unzipped folder was added a small file which has my digital key - so it is easy for me to find should I ever need to enter the key again.
Also added to this folder is a cache of the thumbnails of a folder I am maintaining manually containing about 60,000 files of which there are at least about 10,000 files with "pictures" such as .jpg, .mp4 etc the other files eg .zip, .txt etc have a generic Windows thumbnail. The cached thumbnails (on RAMdrive) cover the 16, 32, 64, 128, 200 square sizes and it took xyplorer about an hour to create this thumbnail cache. I run xyplorer with simultaneous thumbnails and icons and a preview pane. This RAMdrive xyplorer folder is now 2.67 GB in size (57 files, 30 folders) - it is now .7z zipped and stored on the C:\ drive (may soon relocate to G:\ SATA ssd).

Because of Windows 10 being unstable - the longest time I can continuously have the laptop on is about 3 days after which Windows 10 crashes in strange ways. This time period includes 24/7 "number crunching" and sleep periods do not extend this period beyond the 3 days. Within the 3 day session I do a backup regularly of critical information from the RAMdrive (which for technical reasons is configured as NON-PERSISTENT, ie if the power is switched off or restart or shutdown etc all RAMdrive data is lost - previous attempts having RAMdrive as persistent proved not to be a good idea).

On RESTART my computer automatically loads many things (including the above "enhanced" xyplorer zip file) and does all relevant unzipping to the RAMdrive. The enhanced xyplorer BETA zip file (1.2 GB) takes only about 10 seconds to unzip to the RAMdrive. On launching RAMdrive xyplorer - the configuration setup is automatic (to my setup preferences) and takes about one second to load (in my case with an opening up of that 60,000 file folder - the thumbnails (plus icons) all appear to come up instantly. If I reconfigure "live" to display (cached) thumbnails to another size from my size set of 5 above) it only takes less than a second to switch over (the bottom status row of xyplorer shows no activity).

Of course - if I do al lot of editing affecting which files need thumbnails updating - I will have to zip up my RAMdrive xyplorer folder and save on permanent storage - and this process will take about one hour (I gather) to create a 1+GB .7z zip file. Hence I usually leave the laptop on (including sleep) for up to 3 days.