Preview problems

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
StarPotato

Preview problems

Post by StarPotato »

Hi,

I'm testing the capabilites of XYplorer and I'm having a bit of a headache figuring out why preview not working as intended for me.

Here a list of what works :
- text , doc, ppt files and others
- image formats including jpg, png, gif
- music files mp3

What doesn't works :
- video files including mp4 and mkv (no sound, no video) tested with multiples files from different sources

You can see in my screenshoots some weird ghosting in the preview tab and a blank preview in the info panel

I can play the video files with multiples player (vlc, mpc-be, mpc-hc and windows media player) without issue.
I installed k-lite decoder but that did not help.
I already reinstalled XYplorer twice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
info panel preview
info panel preview
Capture 2.PNG (11.03 KiB) Viewed 2493 times
preview pannel
preview pannel
Capture 1.PNG (186.2 KiB) Viewed 2493 times

nas8e9

Re: Preview problems

Post by nas8e9 »

Hi and welcome,

What Windows and XYplorer version are you using? With Windows 10 20H2 x64 without any codec packs, and the latest stable of XYplorer (20.70.0100), .mp4 preview works for me while .mkv preview shows a static image from the first frame.

Do you have Tools > Configuration > Categories > Video Files, enabled, with .mp4 and .mkv selected in the Category: Video Files panel?

StarPotato

Post by StarPotato »

Hi,

Thanks for your time,

I'm running Windows 10 20H2 and the latest XYplorer version 21.70.0100.
As you mentionned, all revelents parameters are checked.

I should also mention that I tried changing the default app for mp4 and mkv to no avail.
I'm running out of ideas. :veryconfused:
Attachments
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 1.PNG (9.84 KiB) Viewed 2473 times

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

To exclude an XYplorer setting gone wrong, you could try running XYplorer with a fresh config.

Do you see any text message "playing failed: Automation error" in XYplorer's status bar?

StarPotato

Post by StarPotato »

Well,

It's working in the fresh window (fresh; in the adress bar), see the screenshot
So I factory reset my XY by deleting the application data folder and quit without saving (as mentionned in another post)
But after I restart XY the situation loop back to blank/glitchy preview panel.

Weird :?:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (253.56 KiB) Viewed 2463 times

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

StarPotato wrote: 29 Apr 2021 21:19 Well,

It's working in the fresh window (fresh; in the adress bar), see the screenshot
So I factory reset my XY by deleting the application data folder and quit without saving (as mentionned in another post)
But after I restart XY the situation loop back to blank/glitchy preview panel.

Weird :?:
I can't explain why a fresh config works but a factory reset doesn't. If you want to be absolutely sure the reset takes: uninstall XYplorer and then use Windows Explorer to remove the application folder (if still around) and application data folder.

FWIW, I've got it working in a VM with the K-Lite Codec Pack installed, both for .mp4 as well as .mkv. Without K-Lite, Windows 10 20H2 doesn't offer video preview in XYplorer.

StarPotato

Post by StarPotato »

No luck so far but after a lots of tweaks here and there, I noticed a strange behavior

If I start 2 instances of XY, same folder, on the 1st I preview a video (not working), on the 2nd I preview a video (working)
And vice versa

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here it is https://imgur.com/a/85l752e

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Can't explain, unfortunately.

I'm extremely careful not to install any codec packs, but K-Lite does seem to work. You have K-Lite Codec Pack Basic 16.1.2 as well?

StarPotato

Post by StarPotato »

Same K-Lite codec version.
It's not too bothersome to have 2 instances of XY running for me so for now that will be my workaround.

Thanks as always

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In your screenshot the status bar shows the progress of the Quick Audio Preview. It should not be there on a MP4 video preview. Untick this: Configuration | Preview | Mouse Down Blow Up | Mouse Down on Thumbnails and Icons | Audio preview. Maybe it makes a difference.

StarPotato

Post by StarPotato »

That particular setting was not checked.
In my first post I said that audio was not working, that is not true; audio plays. Just the video that is not rendering.
Or maybe it's rendering, just not proprely (ghosting effect suggest some rendering is happening).
Hope that help figuring out the root of the issue.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MP4 video preview works without problems here. I guess it comes down to the installed CODEC. On my machine I use "K-Lite Codec Pack 10.9.5 Basic".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote: 01 May 2021 11:37 In your screenshot the status bar shows the progress of the Quick Audio Preview. It should not be there on a MP4 video preview. Untick this: Configuration | Preview | Mouse Down Blow Up | Mouse Down on Thumbnails and Icons | Audio preview. Maybe it makes a difference.
Well, that was nonsense. Forgot that in the Preview Pane videos can be shown using that status bar progress under certain conditions.

StarPotato

Post by StarPotato »

I previously tested XYplorer with k-lite codec on a fresh Windows 10 VM with great success, previews worked.
So I thought that my windows had too much clutter and I reinstalled it.
Before anything else I installed XY and K-lite Codecs and the problems occurred.
To conclude there is a problem (not related to XY) I do not yet see.

StarPotato

Post by StarPotato »

For completeness, if Windows Media Player is set to default, the preview is showing and playing but NOT auto-playing.
I tried with multiple players as default and only Windows Player is working fine.