Drive letter missing from tab caption for folders directly under root, in secondary pane

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
johndk

Drive letter missing from tab caption for folders directly under root, in secondary pane

Post by johndk »

(This only affects the secondary pane, whether vertical or horizontal. But if I "swap panes", then the problem will appear on the top pane instead of the bottom pane.)

I have "Full Path" chosen for the Tab Captions option in the Configuration window (and clicking on Custom shows "<drive>: <folder>").

But any tab which is open to a folder directly off root will NOT show the drive letter in its caption - just the folder name. So if a tab is open to c:\dev, I just see "dev" on the tab caption. Not only annoying, but functionally bad because, for example, I have both c:\dev and d:\dev directories, and I can't tell which is which until I switch to the tab.

1.) Make sure Tab Captions are set to show the full path.
2.) In the lower or right pane, open a folder immediately off root, such as C:\Windows. It doesn't seem to matter how I navigate there.
Expected: The tab caption shows "C:\Windows".
Actual: The tab caption only shows "Windows".

If you then navigate to c:\windows\system32, the drive letter will appear. And then it will disappear once you go back to just c:\windows.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Drive letter missing from tab caption for folders directly under root, in secondary pane

Post by admin »

This is the way the space is used when it's scarce (not enough space to show the whole caption). Not a bug but a design choice.

johndk

Re: Drive letter missing from tab caption for folders directly under root, in secondary pane

Post by johndk »

Thanks for the explanation. If you ever have time to add a preference for this, it's definitely something I would use.