Blue arrows with no (?)purpose?

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
gombeveteran

Blue arrows with no (?)purpose?

Post by gombeveteran »

The arrows in question.
The arrows in question.
image.png (201.49 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
These arrows have started appearing recently on all sorts of files, and folders as well. They appear on videos when their respective thumbnails have not yet loaded, and on executables irregardless of thumbnail loading. I'd like to disable it, but I don't know how. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

kunkel321

Re: Blue arrows with no (?)purpose?

Post by kunkel321 »

Weird. So these don't show up in Windows File Explorer?

The only setting I can think of trying is Configuration > General > Blah blah icons > and disable "show icon overlays"
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

jupe

Post by jupe »

This post is mainly meant for the developer as background info, I will move this topic to bug reports and see if the developer can look at it.

I have seen this issue for a while, the blue arrows indicate a NTFS compressed file, I am pretty sure the issue arises when XY is started in a location (or first encounters that particular icon) that has one of the filetypes in it that is actually compressed (attr +C), anyway so XY caches the icon with the compressed overlay in it for the rest of the session for that particular icon, so anywhere that icon is used within XYs list for the rest of the session it has that overlay, even if it isn't applicable.

The easiest way that seems to mitigate it is that you can start XY in a location that doesn't include a compressed file that uses the icon you are having issues with, so the first time the icon is cached it doesn't cache the icon with the overlay, or find the causation file that is actually compressed (eg. via quicksearch attr:c) and uncompress it + restart, if you don't need it to be, it may only be one file. (in the OP screenshots case it would be at least 2, an Irfranview and VLC assoc'd file, or maybe the OP has a whole folder+contents set +C, maybe that is why they are having so many issues and mention the folder icon too, I haven't tested that scenario)

In this case the "Show icon overlays" setting doesn't help because the overlay is only cached ontop of the icon, not drawn ontop afterwards.

Strangely I have seen cases where in the properties panel icon it shows the blue arrows, but in the list it doesn't though for the same filetype, and vice versa.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I assume this is on Win10? (Cannot see those arrows on Win8.1)

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yes Win 10.

notabot

Post by notabot »

Not a bug. That is the overlay icon of NTFS compressed files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cannot test Win 10 now but will provide an air fix soon.

jupe

Post by jupe »

The fix you made has made it better but it isn't completely resolved. The statusbar and properties panel now seem to always show the correct icon incl 'overlay' when necessary, but the list still either doesn't show the overlay, or if you start in a location with a compressed file it will show for that filetype everywhere even if not +C, anyway this may be hard to fix without testing, the way it is now is definitely an improvement, but the list still seems to have the same behavior for the most part.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, could see it now on Win10 and fix it. Check out next beta.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Nice, this looks fixed :tup:

I have been working around that issue for ages, I wish I had mentioned it earlier, one thing I noticed though while just testing build .0127, if you use CFI for one of the filetypes then you don't get the overlay, and for folders you get the standard shell folder icon with overlay, is the overlay incompatible with CFI.?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirmed. I had almost zero hopes that it could be done, but apparently it could! Next beta... :D