Search with space after dot

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
DTMPN

Search with space after dot

Post by DTMPN »

Ran across this, tested with current and past versions.
Create a file called "test. test.txt", do a standard search for "test." or even the full "test. test.txt" and xyplorer will not find it. Searching for "test" will work.
The issue appears to be the space after the first dot. Similar character combinations do the same thing as long as the first dot has a space after it.
The Standard mode finds nothing, but the RegExp mode will find it.

I discovered this because someone created a file called "Typ. H.M.rvt". It was in several places, but when I searched, nothing was found.

DTMPN

Re: Search with space after dot

Post by DTMPN »

I tried and old 8.80 version I had, and it worked correctly. 17.40 and 21.50 do not.
Tested on two different windows 10 computers with the same result.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Search with space after dot

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome to the club!

I see how this is surprising, but it is correct by the search syntax of XYplorer.

1. A search pattern ending in a dot means: find files without extension. So the pattern test. matches all files called *test* that have no extension.

2. The pattern test. test.txt is parsed as a Boolean AND term because it contains a space: *test*" [no extension] AND "*test.txt*" which in this case cannot match anything.
This behavior can be turned off by unticking this: Configuration | Find and Filter | Find Files & Branch View | Find Files | Enable smart Boolean query parsing

3. Tip: A quoted pattern "test. test.txt" will match the file even if "Enable smart Boolean query parsing" is ON.

4. I wonder if the "find files without extension"-syntax should be made optional in Configuration? Opinions?

Don