XYplorer freezes, slow loading of thumbs

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
as4646467

Re: XYplorer freezes, slow loading of thumbs

Post by as4646467 »

admin wrote: 24 Mar 2021 10:06 Did you already try a fresh instance of XYplorer? It might be caused by some user setting...

See here: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=fresh

PS: In your video there is nothing in the status bar saying that thumbnails are generated. Strange! It might be something completely different...
I did try a fresh install as well, same result. It started so suddenly the other week, after a year of zero problems, I'm actually wondering if there's something in windows that's causing it...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try an older version to test that theory:
https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

as4646467

Post by as4646467 »

admin wrote: 27 Mar 2021 09:09 Try an older version to test that theory:
https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php
Aha! I rolled back to 20.90.0900, have tested with several folder now and there's no issue, works perfectly

highend

Post by highend »

Now upgrade to all! releases in between (on by one) and tell us which was the last working and the first non working release...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you have any of these extensions in your folder?

.afphoto .afdesign .afpub .sldasm .slddrw .sldprt

RakSrinana

Post by RakSrinana »

This happens for me too, same as @as4646467 with the Switch to / retry window. Loading thumbnails from a network drive for h265 video files completely hangs. Loading them from windows explorer works fine.

I managed to find something by looking a bit around: when the thumbnails stops generating, I see a dllhost.exe (COM Surrogate 32bits) process that is using ~10% of the CPU forever. As soon as I kill this process, the thumbnail appears and continue generating other thumbnails until it gets stuck again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote: 27 Mar 2021 17:11 Do you have any of these extensions in your folder?

Does anybody care answering my question?

RakSrinana

Post by RakSrinana »

admin wrote: 29 Mar 2021 11:15
admin wrote: 27 Mar 2021 17:11 Do you have any of these extensions in your folder?

Does anybody care answering my question?
In my case I don't. only .mp4 videos in the whole folder.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So, is it expected to see a video still thumbnail for each of them?

RakSrinana

Post by RakSrinana »

That's what I'd want yeah, having thumbnails for each video file. Though there's that process dllhost that hangs forever and freezes the generation.

From what I could test a bit more yesterday it seems to be the Icaros thumbnail generator from K-lite codec pack. If I disable it then nothing freezes, but obviously there's no thumbnails.
Also it's the only dllhost that is 32 bits. and comes from the syswow64 folder. The weird thing is that when I load the thumbnails from the windows explorer I don't see that 32 bit process at all, it's a 64bit dllhost (from System32) that is used and everything goes fine. Maybe it's linked to the fact that XY is 32bits and it doesn't play well with that dll?

Sometimes I manage to make them load fine in XY if I preload them first in windows explorer, but with large folders it's nor always the case (maybe the Thumbs.db is limited in size?)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1)
Yes, mp4 thumbs are 32-bit at the moment. There plans to change that, but later...

2)
I use Icaros 32-bit thumbnail handler myself for mp4 thumbs, and there is no hang. Could it be the problem is from some particular files?

3)
Some users say this is a recent issue. Can you confirm that older version do not have the problem?
Older versions: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

RakSrinana

Post by RakSrinana »

admin wrote: 29 Mar 2021 13:06 1)
Yes, mp4 thumbs are 32-bit at the moment. There plans to change that, but later...

2)
I use Icaros 32-bit thumbnail handler myself for mp4 thumbs, and there is no hang. Could it be the problem is from some particular files?

3)
Some users say this is a recent issue. Can you confirm that older version do not have the problem?
Older versions: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php
2) I tried a bit more with some other files. And so far it failed with h265 video files, h264, wmv. Though all were on a network drive.
So I tried to do it with the same files but not on a network mounted volume and... it went fine.

If things are a bit clearer I did a little video showing the issue when on the network share. All the mp4 (h264) files are the same one duplicated.
https://youtu.be/MUF89zrb7bU

Maybe it is a different issue and linked to the fact it is a network share. Though the thing is that they load fine on windows explorer, even on the network drive.
If that can help, that drive is like @as4646467, a Synology NAS.

3) I tried 20.90.0900 like someone mentioned here, with 19.90.0100, and also with fresh settings, but it still hangs for me.

Manniala

Post by Manniala »

Hey, i had the same problem, could not make thumbs, it just hang for ever, but i found a "solution" that worked for me, so i thought i would share it here, BUT as always there is a BIIIIIIG but here.

1. When the thumbs were creates in Taskmanager i saw, the CPU went from 0,2% to 2.x% up and down.
Normal no Hang
Normal no Hang
Com Surrogate (32 bit).PNG (3.13 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
2. BUT when the Thumb creation process stopped/hangs, the same process is now spiking to over 7% CPU, and even after 10 minutes, it never created the next thumb.
Hang
Hang
dllhost - SysWOW64-hangs.PNG (2.9 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
3. I could then get the thumbs creation rolling again by simply force close the process in the Taskmanager, but if you have a large library, it could hang a looooot of times, and it would take for ever. :(

But this is the only way i found out how to get the thumbs made :/ Not optimal but i haven't figured out another way.

Not sure if the Devs can make some sort of check, like if no thumbs have been created for a few sec, then run a "Stop-Process -Name "ProcessName" -Force" or some sort, or figure out why it hangs in the first place.
Last edited by Manniala on 30 Mar 2021 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hard to say what causes this. As I said I use Icaros 32-bit thumbnail handler myself for mp4 thumbs, and there is no hang. Out of ideas. :|

jupe

Post by jupe »

I'd hypothesize that it is since the new 3.20 version of Icaros was released in beta/RC1 state, and that there is an issue with it in the x32 version.