XYplorer freezes, slow loading of thumbs

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer freezes, slow loading of thumbs

Post by admin »

The cause can only be one of the files that fail to generate a thumbnail. Only you can find out which file that might be. Then one could check whether Explorer shows a thumbnail for this file or whether it does not even try. From there on one could think about a solution.

Or you could use this and the freeze is gone:
[x] Show cached thumbnails only

chivalrous_beast

Post by chivalrous_beast »

Thanks for anwering. The thing is that this happens regardless of what folder I open. If there's more than 30-40 thumbs. It freezes for several seconds. Sometimes up to minutes. I really like xyplorer but I realize that it's probably not compatible with my system somehow.

chivalrous_beast

Post by chivalrous_beast »

I uninstalled XYplorer, deleted all settings and reinstalled the newest version. Hopefully this helps. If I dont follow up this post then the matter is problably solved.

as4646467

Post by as4646467 »

chivalrous_beast wrote: 11 Feb 2021 17:13 I uninstalled XYplorer, deleted all settings and reinstalled the newest version. Hopefully this helps. If I dont follow up this post then the matter is problably solved.
Is this still happening for you? It started for me a few days ago and XYPlorer is almost unusable now, I've done an uninstall and clean install, reset and flushed Windows' thumbnail cache, but it's happening constantly every day now

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you describe your situation in more detail? How many thumbnails? What kind of files? Are you using the cache?

as4646467

Post by as4646467 »

admin wrote: 23 Mar 2021 10:10 Can you describe your situation in more detail? How many thumbnails? What kind of files? Are you using the cache?
I'm working in a networked environment, Windows 10 Home edition, from my local ssd system drive and from a synology NAS, the issue started happening suddenly a few days ago, xyplorer has been working perfectly for me for around a year before this.

So far it has happened in every folder I have tried, as soon as I switch to thumbnail mode it freezes and gives the "switch to/retry" error and I have to kill the process. I have tried with several folders both off the local machine and from the NAS, some with 1-3 files, some with hundreds, all either PNGs, JPGs, or MP4s. Sometimes when I restart it is okay for a bit, but will start happening again within a few minutes. Explorer seems unaffected, to see if it was a windows issue I installed the icaros extended thumbnail shell extension, but there was no change in behavior.

Have tried with cache enabled and disabled, with eset antivirus excluding xyplorer.exe and with the antivirus disabled completely, it still happens.

I recorded it happening if that helps - https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1LqAgvVk ... t=download

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you already try a fresh instance of XYplorer? It might be caused by some user setting...

See here: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=fresh

PS: In your video there is nothing in the status bar saying that thumbnails are generated. Strange! It might be something completely different...

turboyac

Post by turboyac »

Hello, I have the same issue. I just installed XYplorer and love everything about it. I was very excited to make it my permanent file explorer until I realized how long it took to display image thumbnails. Basically XYplorer becomes practically unresponsive until it has finished displaying thumbnails, which takes forever, especially for heavy image files. For folders that contain a lot of images, that makes it unusable. I've been using XnView for image viewing for years, and thumbnails appear almost instantly upon opening any folder. It would be fantastic if there was a fix to this issue, because the navigation, interface, and catalog features are really great. Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Do you have any of these extensions in your folder?

.afphoto .afdesign .afpub .sldasm .slddrw .sldprt

2) Do you see something in the status bar saying that thumbnails are generated?

turboyac

Post by turboyac »

Hi,

1) No

2) Yes I do

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So, what kind of files do you have, and how many of them?

turboyac

Post by turboyac »

They're jpg and png, most of them under 10MB each. A few Psd and Tiff, 30-50MB each. The problem occurs whether I have 10 or 100+ files in the folder.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How long does it take for 10 JPGs? (It should be almost no time.)

turboyac

Post by turboyac »

Indeed it's almost no time for 10 light JPGs (Less than 1MB) in a folder with only ten files.

However, I did a test with a folder of one hundred JPGs of 5-10MB each, and it takes XYplorer 10.6 seconds for 10 thumbnails to appear, and the program becomes very slow/unresponsive while doing that.
In comparison, it takes XnView 4.2 seconds to perform the same operation, and the program continues running normally while the thumbnails appear.

I'm on Windows 10 LTSC, Intel Core i7, 32 GB Ram.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Thumbnails are generated in the foreground thread, so it sure becomes slow. But unresponsive? Not here.

2) There is caching, so you have to wait, but only one time. From then on till eternity it's lightning fast.

3) XnView is a specialized image viewer, so it probably has some native routines going, whereas XYplorer (a file manager :)) relies on 3rd party thumbnail handlers -- sure it's slower.