"ghost" files after some operations caused data loss

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JLoftus

"ghost" files after some operations caused data loss

Post by JLoftus »

So this is a two-fold bug report.

First, I have been seeing for some time now (last handful of versions, maybe as many as the last dozen or more versions) some cases where operations that change the files in the current view do not completely or properly update the view (with auto-refresh enabled). Note, this example happens to be on a network drive, not sure if reproducible locally. Example: I use dbPoweramp's context menu to convert a number of files from FLAC to WAV or vice versa. After doing so, sometimes I will still see one or two files left that did not get deleted by the conversion process (example again, I convert 10 files from FLAC to WAV, and dbPoweramp's setting is to delete the source file, yet there might be one or two FLAC files left visible in the list). OK, no big deal, I delete the files that might not have deleted due to some very transient XY lock, etc.

Second, and this is what result in data loss:

Here's what happened: I converted a number of files from FLAC to WAV, and again, as above, there were two FLAC files remaining in the list after the conversion. I deleted the first one, and I am surmising that some refresh finally caught up, and when I went to delete the second file, it must have at that point appeared as a ghost, because when I pressed the delete key, the NEXT file got deleted. This was really bad, in this case, resulted in data loss. Fortunately I had a backup, but regardless, this does look to me like a bug of sorts.

Here's a textual illustration of what happened:

file01.wav
file02.wav
file03.wav
file04.wav
file05.wav
file06.wav
file07.FLAC
file07.wav
file08.wav
file09.wav
file10.wav

When I deleted fileo7.FLAC, the next refresh had just taken place, and the result was that file07.wav was deleted. Does my explanation make sense?

Is there a tweak or change that has recently been made to the refresh rate? Can the current folder's refresh/polling rate be increased? This has happened to me several times now, but this was the first time my hasty fingers actually resulted in data loss. I am wondering if there's a tweak or setting I can make to force XY to check for changes to the current folder more frequently?

Thanks

JLoftus

Re: "ghost" files after some operations caused data loss

Post by JLoftus »

Looking through settings, I noted "refresh during file operations" was unticked. I seem to recall I had chosen to disable this setting a very long time ago because it was causing undesirable effects. I have turned this on, hopefully this will address the ghosting issue. Maybe my last computer was not powerful enough for this feature.

admin
Site Admin

Re: "ghost" files after some operations caused data loss

Post by admin »

Might be that in the split-second when you pressed the DEL button the list got auto-refreshed and the next file got selected. To prevent this untick Configuration | General | Tree and List | List | Select next item after delete and move.

To prevent accidental deletions ensure that you get a confirmation prompt on delete, and read it before you OK it. :)