Bug report on closing preview

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bug report on closing preview

Post by admin »

JLoftus wrote: 03 Oct 2020 15:42
acheton wrote: 03 Oct 2020 14:44 So largely fixed but now causes a whole app crash on occasions.
Funny you should say that, I've had the entire XY app crash on me several times in the last few days, every time it was because I tried to click somewhere in the XY window while there was a task running (that was launched by XY). Example, I will frequently select some files (maybe 20-30) and using dbPoweramp's context menu, I will convert them from FLAC to WAV or vice-versa. While the conversion is taking place, I might forget about XY's single-threaded design and click in the window. Usually this would result in nothing at all happening, or, I might get the "Switch/wait" dialog, but a few times lately the entire XY just crash closes.
Where in the window do you click when that happens?

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

usually on a list view item. I will kick off either loading a bunch of files into Adobe Audition or context menu convert them with dbPoweramp, and that loading time often takes 20-30 seconds because these files are usually large and located on a network drive. While the other app is processing files dragged or contexted from XY, if I try to change folders or select a list view item, I will usually get the "switch/wait" dialog, but lately XY itself has crashed if I forget and do that.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

admin wrote: 04 Oct 2020 09:04
JLoftus wrote: 04 Oct 2020 00:15 Not sure what you mean Don, I read your answer above and immediately disabled the 64-bit preview, but the crash still persists.
There must be some misunderstanding. How can the 64-bit preview crash when it's disabled? PDF-XChange previews work without problems in 32-bit. That's true for many years and many users. I don't remember any user having problems with the PDF-XChange preview.

Anyway, to clear up any misunderstanding please describe as exactly as possible what you do to crash it.
Found it! I had deselected the 64-bit preview handler, but I left the other option checked, "fall back to preview handlers of the other bitness" .... when I unchecked that, now I cannot reproduce the preview close crash!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JLoftus wrote: 04 Oct 2020 15:45 usually on a list view item. I will kick off either loading a bunch of files into Adobe Audition or context menu convert them with dbPoweramp, and that loading time often takes 20-30 seconds because these files are usually large and located on a network drive. While the other app is processing files dragged or contexted from XY, if I try to change folders or select a list view item, I will usually get the "switch/wait" dialog, but lately XY itself has crashed if I forget and do that.
I know the "switch/wait" dialog only from drag/drop, not from context menu. Are you sure?

Still, nothing can excuse a crash. With one exception: Faulty 3rd party shell extensions in the context menu can cause a crash.

So, I'd say either you get the "switch/wait" dialog from drag/drop, or you get a crash from context menu.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JLoftus wrote: 04 Oct 2020 15:48
admin wrote: 04 Oct 2020 09:04
JLoftus wrote: 04 Oct 2020 00:15 Not sure what you mean Don, I read your answer above and immediately disabled the 64-bit preview, but the crash still persists.
There must be some misunderstanding. How can the 64-bit preview crash when it's disabled? PDF-XChange previews work without problems in 32-bit. That's true for many years and many users. I don't remember any user having problems with the PDF-XChange preview.

Anyway, to clear up any misunderstanding please describe as exactly as possible what you do to crash it.
Found it! I had deselected the 64-bit preview handler, but I left the other option checked, "fall back to preview handlers of the other bitness" .... when I unchecked that, now I cannot reproduce the preview close crash!
1) Do you get a PDF preview at all? If yes, I'd like to see a screenshot.

2) If PDF-Xchange is correctly installed then "fall back to preview handlers of the other bitness" should have no influence here.

3) Are you saying that it STILL crashes with the current version when you close the Floating Preview? If yes, what do you mean by crash? Total desruction, or is there an error message?

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

admin wrote: 04 Oct 2020 17:03 1) Do you get a PDF preview at all? If yes, I'd like to see a screenshot.

2) If PDF-Xchange is correctly installed then "fall back to preview handlers of the other bitness" should have no influence here.

3) Are you saying that it STILL crashes with the current version when you close the Floating Preview? If yes, what do you mean by crash? Total desruction, or is there an error message?
Yes, preview works fine, and no, it no longer crashes when I use the "x" in the upper right corner to close the preview window.
However, note also: I just once again ticked the selection for "fall back to preview handlers of the other bitness" and I can no longer seem to reproduce the crash, so it would seem something else fixed it.

screenshot here:
2020-10-04_11-27-00.jpg
2020-10-04_11-27-00.jpg (280.1 KiB) Viewed 1137 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I see what I expected to see: This is NOT the PDF preview but the PDF thumbnail used as preview. Obviously the 32-bit PDF preview fails on your system, then it falls back to the 64-bit preview, which also fails, then it falls back to the 32-bit thumbnail.

The question is: WHY does the 32-bit PDF preview fail?
a) Either PDF-Xchange is not correctly installed
b) Or you defined some wrong GUID in Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats | Categories | User-Defined Preview Handlers.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

no, that's what I'm saying, it works fine now, I cannot reproduce the crash any longer. Something else must have resolved the issue