XY extremly slow response (seems freezing) and buggy

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
rpnfan

XY extremly slow response (seems freezing) and buggy

Post by rpnfan »

I love the options of XY, _but_ from the very beginning I still struggle with the performance or beter said lack of performance of XY which I do not see always, but more or less regularly.

In many cases it reacts just sooooo slow or does not show the expected behavior.

What are critical places to check / assure that XY performs snappy? The only tip I cannot follow is disabling the virus checker (Sophos), because I'm not allowed to do that on the work computer. At my own computers with only the Windows virus scanner active (and the relevant exclusions) the speed is not faster anyways... :-(

For example I see similar problems like in viewtopic.php?t=18503 -- which does not not seem to be resolved after two years. I had high hopes for the rewrite version... :-o

So many here seem to have no serious problems with XY, while I have on all three computers I use (lifetime license -- always up to date).

EDIT:
Another problem with "context menu" is semi-solved. This has seemed to be a problem of the Explorer / MS. I noticed that in other programs (Everything) the context menu did also not work -- till restarting Windows...
Another example is that from one day to the other right-click does not work any longer (it was configured to show the default Win content menu). Restarting the program does not fix that. I get the error message:

ContextMenu64: Could not close the previous instance of this script. Keep waiting?

Answering No or Yes is both not a good option. I still cannot get the context menu working again.

bitbauer

Re: XY extremly slow response (seems freezing) and buggy

Post by bitbauer »

Yes, I'm experiencing the same performance problem. Startup of xy is very slow even though no network shares need to be reopened. Switching from one local folder to another also quite slow. Collapsing of tree items in the left pane lasts about 5 seconds.

Would be quite helpful to have an option to load "optimal" performance settings or to have an option to log what's causing bad performance. Some kind of performance analysis. Another approach would be to have an configuration area where all performance settings are in one place.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Code: Select all

::text get("LoadTimes");
(copy/paste to your address bar) could be your friend as it shows where your XY installation is wasting time on startup.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

For me startup time is normally not a problem. Opening folders, opening files, copy / delete operations take sometimes waaaaaay longer than they should. In most cases I would expect "instantly" and not some or many seconds - up to 30 or even more.

Just for reference here my startup times:
XY ver: XYplorer 21.00.0000
OS: Windows 10 Professional, 64-bit, Release 2004, Build 19041.450
Loaded: 2020-09-10 15:36:28 in 2.352 ms
Threshold: 10 ms

0 ms: 771 ms - Start Load
771 ms: 39 ms - Init Language
810 ms: 91 ms - Load Language
901 ms: 29 ms - Load Settings
930 ms: 12 ms - Init Custom File Icons
942 ms: 56 ms - Init Controls
998 ms: 198 ms - Init Graphics
1.196 ms: 50 ms - Init Tabs
1.246 ms: 104 ms - Create Info Panel
1.350 ms: 222 ms - Set Interface Font
1.572 ms: 58 ms - Init Panes
1.647 ms: 68 ms - Add Drive U:\
1.715 ms: 14 ms - Add Portable Devices
1.729 ms: 39 ms - Tab Icons
1.786 ms: 67 ms - Load Mini Tree 3
1.853 ms: 12 ms - Init UDC and KS
1.871 ms: 33 ms - Set LookIn Text
1.904 ms: 46 ms - Load Other Pane
1.950 ms: 46 ms - Layout Bars
1.996 ms: 18 ms - Layout Catalog
2.014 ms: 87 ms - Layout List
2.101 ms: 243 ms - Show Window
2.352 ms: - Load Done

MiniTree: Rows=22, Nodes=24, Expanded=5, Mapped Drives=1
Remember Tree State: Yes (17 stored paths)
Check Existence of Subfolders in Tree: Yes
Pane 1: Items=6/6, Pane 2: Items=4/9, Catalog: Items=15

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

The next questions would be:
1. Have you excluded both XYplorer.exe and XYCopy.exe from your AV software (with a few more helper .exe files added recently, maybe even better exclude the whole XY folder)?
2. Have you defined any custom columns which read metadata of every file to provide their contents?
3. Have you checked the info provided by "Help/Various Information" while holding the Ctrl key, which gives valuable info on many factors that might slow down your XY experience.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

Hi Ralph,
thanks for the answer and pointers.

1) Yes, like explained: on two PCs I did on one I can't -- no noticable difference for all three PCs
2) No
3) Thanks alot I'll go through them. I have not known that pretty well hidden help information! Would never think of clicking on the help entry and holding Ctrl... I see I need to get / take more control of XY ;-)

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

rpnfan wrote: 10 Sep 2020 21:00 3) Thanks alot I'll go through them. I have not known that pretty well hidden help information! Would never think of clicking on the help entry and holding Ctrl... I see I need to get / take more control of XY ;-)
I want to add a personal note to Donald here. I absolutely love XY for many obvious reasons. _But_ I think the spread of XY will always be behind to what it could be, because it is not beginner-friendly enough and is not clear / structured enough to be able to grasp it easily.

This above is a perfect example of what I mean. How on earth should a user get the idea to

1) be in need to check specific settings to get a speedy XY and
2) pressing a (likely) non-documented key combination to get to this information

Most people will not take the time to log in to a forum and search for answers there. It would be highly beneficial if XY could be restructured and made more "neatly arranged" regarding the menus, icons etc. This is not an easy task, because XY offers so many functions! But this would be a big plus.

Another plus would be if some videos would be available which showcase some common usage scenarios and how XY can help and speed up the daily work at the PC. :-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My idea has always been to make it run smoothly out of the box. The help file is just a bonus, not a must. Same for configuration.

I believe that it starts fast for most users. (Exclusion of) AV is a common problem though. I'm not sure how to handle this in a smooth way... :|