[Bug] Conditional windows explorer 'hang' when copying from XYplorer

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
vrtarifaachen

[Bug] Conditional windows explorer 'hang' when copying from XYplorer

Post by vrtarifaachen »

Hi admin,
This is reproducible on multiple computers with XYplorer 21 virgin install (portable, OEM). I went back to the XYplorer freezer and tried v17 and it happens on that version as well Only happens with XYplorer and not native Windows.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Step to reproduce:
1. Have a large (few gigs. I tried files that were 8 GB) files saved on a mapped network drive (on the LAN)
2. Navigate to the mapped network drive within XYplorer. (e.g. E:\Movies)
3. Copy the large multi gigabyte file from XYplorer to the desktop (it can't be any other location).
4. As the copy starts, notice that Windows Explorer copy window comes up. Also notice if you press windows E or try to open windows explorer nothing happens until copy job is done. Everything is frozen

So first thought is, is this really an XYplorer problem since it's the windows explorer copy window that pops up? If you copy or move the file from within Windows Explorer, nothing freezes. The problem only occurs when doing the copy or move job from within XYplorer so I have a strong inclination that it's from the XYplorer end.

admin
Site Admin

Re: [Bug] Conditional windows explorer 'hang' when copying from XYplorer

Post by admin »

How is the copy triggered? Drag and drop?

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

Either way will cause the issue:

Copy/paste from XYplorer > Windows Desktop
or
Drag from XYplorer > Windows Desktop

:(

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And only to Windows Desktop!? Puuh, that triggers no idea in my brain. :|

What if you use Custom Copy? (Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy)

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

admin wrote: 10 Sep 2020 09:00 And only to Windows Desktop!? Puuh, that triggers no idea in my brain. :|

What if you use Custom Copy? (Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy)

I have that setting already turned on.

EDIT: I should clarify. When I copy from dir1 > dir2 *inside* XYplorer (using Custom copy) it works perfectly with no desktop freezing.

highend

Post by highend »

I can confirm this here with the current beta...

Drag and drop with a fresh instance from a network path to the desktop.

Clicking inside XY leads to this window:
2020-09-10_090830.png
2020-09-10_090830.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
It doesn't matter what you click here, until the copy process isn't done you'll get that window again and again...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

I've seen that window too (but not in german lol). One of those buttons said Retry but it keeps coming to that.
I think this might not be related to the one I reported though?

admin - the problem is so weird because even when the copy job is still going in XYplorer, I killed the process and desktop was still frozen.
Why is it that copying to desktop from XYplorer would cause the desktop to not be clickable/hang. Even if the XY process is killed, the desktop is still frozen (until copy job is done).

EDIT: Tried latest OEM install of XYplorer beta too and it does the same.

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

Update: this is not just from network drives. I copied D > Desktop and I still experience the frozen desktop
Update 2: Also happening in virgin windows 10 pro install.

I don't know if this is XYplorer issue or Windows issue, but the fact that I never get it windows > windows makes me so confused....

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

vrtarifaachen wrote: 10 Sep 2020 09:04 EDIT: I should clarify. When I copy from dir1 > dir2 *inside* XYplorer (using Custom copy) it works perfectly with no desktop freezing.
Aha! So it's not the Desktop path but any location outside the XY window? But that would only be possible with drag and drop. And you said it also happens without drag and drop. :?

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

admin wrote: 10 Sep 2020 12:41
vrtarifaachen wrote: 10 Sep 2020 09:04 EDIT: I should clarify. When I copy from dir1 > dir2 *inside* XYplorer (using Custom copy) it works perfectly with no desktop freezing.
Aha! So it's not the Desktop path but any location outside the XY window? But that would only be possible with drag and drop. And you said it also happens without drag and drop. :?
The destination having the problem MUST be the Desktop.
The source can be from network drive or local drive (e.g. D)

It seems like the problem is rooted from XYplorer initiating a windows copy job to the desktop.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote: 10 Sep 2020 09:09 I can confirm this here with the current beta...

Drag and drop with a fresh instance from a network path to the desktop.

Clicking inside XY leads to this window:
2020-09-10_090830.png

It doesn't matter what you click here, until the copy process isn't done you'll get that window again and again...
Would you say that this is a new problem?

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

No. As I said above, I checked freezes and problem exists since v17. I didn't check earlier but I think it's been around for a while?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

vrtarifaachen wrote: 11 Sep 2020 08:49 No. As I said above, I checked freezes and problem exists since v17. I didn't check earlier but I think it's been around for a while?
1) Please describe exactly which command you are using to initiate the copy operation.
2) And it does not matter whether you are using Custom Copy or not, right?
3) Does it also happen with Background Processing enabled?
4) What do you mean by "inside" in
When I copy from dir1 > dir2 *inside* XYplorer (using Custom copy) it works perfectly with no desktop freezing.

highend

Post by highend »

No, even v20.00 and v19.00 show this behavior.
Both instances are fresh and totally unconfigured.

Interestingly the problem only exists (for me) when you drag and drop to the real desktop, not when you drag and drop to the Desktop link in XYs tree.

It does only show up on a drag and drop operation, not if I use the context menu with copy and paste or the keyboard shortcuts CTRL+c and CTRL+v

Regarding background processing: It's on by default in a fresh instance so it doesn't work if it is enabled
It doesn't matter if custom copy is enabled or not.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

highend wrote: 11 Sep 2020 09:14
No, even v20.00 and v19.00 show this behavior.
Both instances are fresh and totally unconfigured.

Interestingly the problem only exists (for me) when you drag and drop to the real desktop, not when you drag and drop to the Desktop link in XYs tree.

It does only show up on a drag and drop operation, not if I use the context menu with copy and paste or the keyboard shortcuts CTRL+c and CTRL+v

Regarding background processing: It's on by default in a fresh instance so it doesn't work if it is enabled
It doesn't matter if custom copy is enabled or not.

I just tried v9.20 from the Freezer and my desktop freezing still happens there too :(