Second concurrent foreground operation gives warning then all later foreground operations are blocked.

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Jerry

Second concurrent foreground operation gives warning then all later foreground operations are blocked.

Post by Jerry »

[Using 20.90.0916]

Here's a longstanding issue I've been experiencing that I'm only just now reporting so it's not related to any recent changes. It's reproducible with /fresh. Follow instructions below.
  1. Start xyplorer /fresh
  2. In Configuration > File Operations > Background Processing: Enable Queue file operations
  3. In Configuration > File Operations > Custom Copy Operations: Enable Custom Copy
    Press OK to apply settings
  4. Go to some folder, say Downloads in your <User> tab.
  5. Now, outside of XYplorer, go to a location containing at least 2 files, with one file large enough to take a while to copy. For example, go into regular Windows File Explorer or into search results from Everything (which I'm usually doing).
  6. In the outside application, drag (copy) the large file into the XYplorer Downloads tab.
  7. While the Custom Copy dialog is up and proceeding, drag (copy) another file from the outside application into the XYplorer.
  8. A warning popup appears saying: "Cannot start a foreground or Custom Copy operation while another one is still in progress." Press OK to dismiss the popup and let the first copy operation finish.
  9. Now, try dragging the same or any other file from the outside application again into the XYplorer tab. The warning popup appears again, even though the previous file operation was completed. Press OK to dismiss the popup.
  10. At this point, you are basically stuck and cannot do any other foreground drag from the outside application unless you exit and restart XYplorer.
  11. Moreover, when you try to exit from XYplorer, you then get this message: Abort Unfinished Operations? One or more operations are not yet finished..." Press OK in the popup to seemingly abort them.
  12. That's not sufficient, however because you will still get the warning popup if you try to drag another file in. But now you CAN exit XYplorer and not be prompted with the Abort popup.
[/list]
So, that's the problem. It seems that XYplorer is not registering the fact that the first foreground operation has completed which should then allow a subsequent foreground operation to go forward.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Second concurrent foreground operation gives warning then all later foreground operations are blocked.

Post by admin »

Interesting stuff! :tup:

Yes, I can confirm it. I had to do some fundamental things to Custom Copy to fix this. It looks good so far. Next beta... :cup:

BTW, here is something for you that will nicely flow around those issues and that I should make a GUI setting one day:

Code: Select all

v9.90.0803 - 2011-04-17 20:44
    + Tweak to allow backgrounding file operations that were initiated 
      by drag'n'drop from outside (= from another app into XYplorer).
        BJAllowDropFromOutside=1

Jerry

Re: Second concurrent foreground operation gives warning then all later foreground operations are blocked.

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote: 01 Sep 2020 09:31 BTW, here is something for you that will nicely flow around those issues and that I should make a GUI setting one day:
BJAllowDropFromOutside=1
My goodness! Did not know about that tweak. I was going to ask why this kind of thing couldn't be done. Exactly what I needed.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.