No refresh after copy/paste

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Electritects

No refresh after copy/paste

Post by Electritects »

Hi,

I am looking for an alternative to Windows 10's File Explorer because Windows 10's File Explorer fails to Auto Refresh after many tasks, including mainly creating new folders and renaming folders. I tried the Wow64 registry fix it did not work.

I found XYplorer and it seems to be auto refreshing for create New Folder and renaming, which is great! Alas MSFT just have to do bad jobs so software that do just what they are supposed to do shine spectacularly! not belittling of XYplorer this software seems too detailed and includes scripting, but just for the case in point.

Anyway XYplorer quickly exhibited a non-AutoRefresh instance where I copied some file from one files tab and pasted it in another folder in another tab. I had to press F5 to see the files. I'm not a programmer but why this Auto Refresh so hard to defeat? if you can fix this please that would be great I have already set XYplorer as default and hope to continue to use it past its trial, but what I am looking for is an Explorer that looks like native (tick) and does Auto Refresh for any and all tasks (does not tick this one yet).

Notes:
1. I (have to) use Dropbox which I think that between it and File Explorer they are unable to close the handle on a file. When I open say a PDF a file that is located in Dropbox, I need to close the PDF viewer before I can delete the file, otherwise Windows 10 File Explorer will say that the file is still open in another application (which is not true it was Closed in the PDF viewer)
2. I also (have to) use OneDrive which has a mind of its own and is a few cases decided that it cannot save a file or cannot synchronise to server, and would not keep all new files local despite ticking the option to have all files local and stop downloading files from the cloud on demand.

I would like to use XYplorer as one and only one application for file management. The only external file application I use if a batch file renamer.

Since I'm posting, I would like to convey the following feedback:
1. The option to replace Explorer was not easy to find in Settings -> Shell. I had to google it. Someone using this software would want this button smack bang on startup.
2. I still haven't figured out the Favorites thing. I will keep "getting accustomed" but for now it certainly does not appear as intuitive as the quick access section in native File Explorer, or like the bookmarks buttons.
3. If there was an equivalent to he Quick Access frame / panel, that would be great, especially if we can rename them which is not possible in native Windows 10 File Explorer.

JoeMarfice

Re: No refresh after copy/paste

Post by JoeMarfice »

I only use some of the features you mention, so I'll note those:

First, to get the tree (the navigation panel to the left) to update automatically, go to
Tools > Configuration > Refresh, Icons, History
and enable Auto-Refresh AND Refresh during file operations. If you wish, you can tick the other boxes as well, but they may slow down response time.
1. The option to replace Explorer was not easy to find in Settings -> Shell. I had to google it. Someone using this software would want this button smack bang on startup.
IMO, an excellent suggestion!
2. I still haven't figured out the Favorites thing. I will keep "getting accustomed" but for now it certainly does not appear as intuitive as the quick access section in native File Explorer, or like the bookmarks buttons.
Sorry, I don't use it.
3. If there was an equivalent to he Quick Access frame / panel, that would be great, especially if we can rename them which is not possible in native Windows 10 File Explorer.
Not sure what this is. Please explain.