wrong date with drag and drop

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
RalphM

Re: wrong date with drag and drop

Post by RalphM »

Well, now that you asked that question I have to say, I was always annoyed by the way mail attachments took on created and modified dates from whenever I saved them but just took this as a given. Now after doing a bit of googling I see that at times there apparently was a way to preserve the original file dates when saving an attachment - which would be ideal IMO.

Short answer to your question, the original file date where probably max. a few weeks ago (don't know exactly as it was created by someone else) and I DnD'd the attachment just before the post with the dlog result, which would have been the date and time I expected to see, so maybe May 12 01:32 (GMT +10).
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, that was the idea and AFAIK it worked before. At the moment I don't know where this weird value comes from and I'm not able to see any way to convert it into a plausible date. So I will make a rough plausibility test for that date and if it fails (and the year 4501 will fail now; it won't fail in the year 4501, I always plan for the future... :) ) it falls back to the current date.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Might be related but not sure, I have a CFA to timestamp jpg's as follows:

Code: Select all

|"Timestamp MC with EXIF-Date"\;*.jpg>::timestamp mc, '<dateexif>'
and when I used it today on a few pics I had received via text message (which must have lost their exif date) they ended up with a 4501 year as well.
I wanted to attach a sample file but can't reproduce it anymore, weird things happening.
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm, interesting and weird. It happened and then it did not anymore? :?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just had the glorious idea to google "01.01.4501". Turns out the problem is anything but new... :) But I did not find a solution nor an explanation.

Hydrofutures

Post by Hydrofutures »

I have the same wrong date problem with drag and drop. Sometimes it is the Modified date and sometimes it is the Created date. In my case the date comes in as 12/31/4500 5:00:00 PM. This happens when I drag an attachment from an email message in Outlook to a folder XYplorer. If I drag a file to Windows Explorer first and then XYplorer the file has the correct date. This is a fairly recent development. I don't think it is because of a change in XYplorer, but rather a recent change in Windows. The wrong date with drag and drop started happening a week or so ago under XYplorer version 20.60.???? and has continued with version 20.90.0300. That is why I think it is a result of a Windows update rather than XYplorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alright, thanks for the info! So it might turn out as a Windows bug after all and just disappear with their next update.

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

the problem is that it only happens with XYplorer while all drag and drop outside of XYplorer work smoothly...
I therefore doubt that Microsoft will change anything.

It seems to me that you need to find a way to deal with it inside XYplorer.
Maybe a simple test verifying that the "Date modified" is not a future date could do the job. If the date is beyond current date, XYplorer could replace it by the current date and time. With this solution, we do not depend anymore on Windows fantasies...

highend

Post by highend »

And you did try the new beta?
viewtopic.php?p=178290#p178290
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Hydrofutures

Post by Hydrofutures »

I agree with RalphM. It would be very nice if the date and time of a dragged and dropped file attachment was the date of the email message rather than the date and time of the drag and drop. This would be the same behavior as now happens when dragging and dropping an email message to XYplorer.

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

with the beta, I get the same date as the created date.
Even if the date/time of the drag & drop or of the email would be more meaningful, I can live with the same date as the created date.
thank you for fixing it !!
your responsiveness is appreciated
Best regards
Raphael

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

After all the talk that this works w/o a problem in WE I did a quick test, only to find that it doesn't work either.
While WE itself doesn't display a created date (it's blank), the DnD file has the same 4501 year when viewed in XY.
The modified date becomes the one when I DnD the file, so no preservation of original file dates in WE either.

Hydrofutures

Post by Hydrofutures »

RalphM is correct. I was mistaken that the problem did not occur in Windows Explorer. The situation is just as described by RalphM. For me the created date and time when viewed in XY is 12/31/4500 5:00:00 PM. Perhaps that is because I am UTC-6 and it would be 01/01/4501 if I was in UTC+1 or later.