Slow startup 20 seconds on fast laptop

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
bpalmer

Slow startup 20 seconds on fast laptop

Post by bpalmer »

I've used XY for over 10 years and never seen this until I put it on my new 2020 Dell XPS with fast i7 processor. I loads just fine - after 20 seconds! Anyone with ideas? I excluded it from virus checker already, read the FAQs and did a search on this forum without any relevant hits.

Thanks - Bruce

highend

Re: Slow startup 20 seconds on fast laptop

Post by highend »

Experiment with the 4 settings on Configuration | General | Safety Belts, Network | Network...

And if this doesn't work, show your loading times: text get("loadtimes");
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

bpalmer

Post by bpalmer »

Thank you, thank you thank you. The four options had no effect but your script showed:

572 ms: 30,170 ms - Enumerating Network Servers

So, I turned [Startup and Exit > No network browsing on startup] to ON and all is well!

Bruce :biggrin:

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

Thank you, thank you thank you from me too!

I started seeing 30 second startup times - a 30 second delay almost always points to a network problem. I verified that with the text get("loadtimes"); and turned off network browsing on startup. All is good now.

I'm not sure exactly when it started, but the most recent big change I can think of is upgrading from Win10 1903 to Win10 2004 (aka 20H1 I think).

That diagnostic script text get("loadtimes"); is brilliant!

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

You may already know this, but for those that don't, you can get those same load times by holding down control and shift keys when clicking "Various Information" under the Help menu.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

elbitjusticiero

Post by elbitjusticiero »

I have the same problem, but in my case the issue is that the list brought up by "Various Information" is full of "Load Folder..." lines enumerating what appears to be every single folder and subfolder in my computer.

Is this normal? I think most people have lots of folders in their drives nowadays, but I don't see many people complaining about 50-second startup times in XYplorer.

highend

Post by highend »

If you use an unlocked (normal and not mini) tree, sure, this can happen.

Quit XY and remove all items (apart from the first) from the mruBrowse section (and set latest + count values to 1)...

elbitjusticiero

Thank you for your reply!

I cleaned up the mruBrowse section as you said. It didn't have a noticeable effect. It still takes over 50 seconds to load XYplorer, and the "Various Information" window still lists every folder and subfolder.

I think I'll experiment with the mini tree setting. I've never used it, and I didn't know just displaying the normal tree could slow down the program so much.

Thanks again! Will report back.

highend

Post by highend »

Show the Various Information list...

elbitjusticiero

Reporting back: using the mini tree sped up the loading time DRAMATICALLY. It's almost instantaneous now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This might also be related to "Configuration | General | Tree and List | Tree | Remember state of tree" which makes loading slow when the Maxi Tree is large. I will untick this setting by factory default from the next version onwards.

elbitjusticiero

Reporting back again: I got an error about the Mini Tree taking long to load (in a new session) because some path not existing anymore. I unchecked "Check existence of subfolders in tree" and now loading is instantaneous once more. I even disabled the Mini Tree and XYplorer loads fast with a normal tree. Will still report back if trouble arises again, but for now, thank you all! You've been extremely helpful.

zanny

Post by zanny »

Thanks, unticked those "remember" options for the tree and it reduced my startup time from over 8000 ms to just 1602ms.