One-click relative path to application (on catalog)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Linkaday
Location: Hamburg, Germany - Win 10 Home v22H2 x64 1920x1080 (100%)

One-click relative path to application (on catalog)

Post by Linkaday »

Still overwhelmed by the evolution of scripting and far from keeping pace with testing these powers (feel like a magician's apprentice)

i stumbled upon one-click open item from catalog using relative path for an application on my thumb drive doesn't work anymore.
Can anyone confirm (or did i miss something here)?
Just applications! Launching documents - no problem.

Can't exactly remember when i started my editor item last (it's just a few days when i started to compile 'Here is scripting' special history log for reference).

admin
Site Admin

Re: One-click relative path to application (on catalog)

Post by admin »

You mean relative to app path, or to drive (the ?:\... syntax)?

Linkaday

Post by Linkaday »

Sorry to barge in "de Köl(l)sche Stimmung", Don - Alaaf!

..\IZArc\IZArc.exe as well as ?:\Apps\Fileman\IZArc\IZArc.exe

whereas ?:\Apps\Fileman\XY\Docs\Here is scripting.txt works.

Thanks for wonders :!:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I checked and it seems to work alright. :? Could it be that you altered the "Action On Click"-Setting in the Catalog items' properties?

Linkaday

Post by Linkaday »

No, i forgot to mention, that i checked that before - i even changed the setting and then changed it back. The application icon remained there with either setting and even when changing from relative to real path and back (so i thought: ok it's cached). On my way home i wondered, if it might be some new library network's security specialties that weren't communicated (happens all day).

So back home i plugged same drive in and find same - not exactly: the icon is released here when i use ?:\ and back, when i change to real path - as expected. I tried different apps and locations, even dbl-click, even tried another stick - just to be sure.

Documents are launched without a flaw. :?

More :? - i just added a new document launch to test if all before said wasn't total rubbish: now this document isn't launched either - while the old document items start their applications as before. Followed your advice in the other thread: installation with default settings in a virgin folder - same result. Changing ? to F and everything is as it should be.
Puzzled.

Linkaday

Post by Linkaday »

Dugged a bit deeper:

If the file is somewhere on C:\ a relative ?:\... works!

Tried a Go To: if the file resides on F: i get a "Couldn't find location C:\..." - where if it's on C: it's found by ?:\...

:roll: Murphy's law working on both of them sticks? Or yet a ?-conflict?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Linkaday wrote:Dugged a bit deeper:

If the file is somewhere on C:\ a relative ?:\... works!

Tried a Go To: if the file resides on F: i get a "Couldn't find location C:\..." - where if it's on C: it's found by ?:\...

:roll: Murphy's law working on both of them sticks? Or yet a ?-conflict?
"Relative" means relative to XYplorer path, not to current path. If your XYplorer is located on drive C: then ?:\... will always be resolved to C:\...
Same with the other syntax: "Scripts" is resolved to <xypath>\Scripts\.

I hope I told you something new. :)

Linkaday

Post by Linkaday »

:oops: That's why we say relative - i sermonize that all day long! Peinlich, peinlich! ["Hot under the collar" - perfect phrase!]

Imagine: three colleagues sittin' on my shoulders and i was promoting the powers of XY! And then such! From there on i was just revolving in my self made maze.

"Denken müsste man können", my grandpa used to close on such. ["Good if one were able to think" - or something like that].

The way you sussed out (i just learned from QuickDic: to suss out (slang) - auf die Schliche kommen) is just another evidence for why XY is so notable.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Linkaday wrote:Imagine: three colleagues sittin' on my shoulders and i was promoting the powers of XY!
I do imagine and I like what I see! Must have gotten quite heavy on your back after a while... but it's a nice spin on viral marketing, I'd call it spinal marketing...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW: when creating new files or with Move/Copy/Backup To, any relative path is indeed resolved with reference to the current path!

Linkaday

Post by Linkaday »

Hey, great! Thanks, Don! I think, i can at least get one of them with that - apart from my use for it!

Cantello

Post by Cantello »

I have a similar problem with the catalog. There are several entries in the catalog, which I use as a quick-starter for my portable apps. I have entered all locations as relative (e.g. "..\ThunderbirdPortable\ThunderbirdPortable.exe") and the 'Action on click' is set to open the item. However, when I click or double-click nothing happens. When I choose 'open selected list items' from the context menu, at least the selected programme opens, although with strange side effects (I think it tries to open something, at least that's what the context menu entry suggests).

Any hints? Help?

Thanks,
Helge (using XYPlorer 6.8.00)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cantello wrote:I have a similar problem with the catalog. There are several entries in the catalog, which I use as a quick-starter for my portable apps. I have entered all locations as relative (e.g. "..\ThunderbirdPortable\ThunderbirdPortable.exe") and the 'Action on click' is set to open the item. However, when I click or double-click nothing happens.
Single-click should be enough.

But I have to confirm: there is indeed a problem with relative paths. Just fixing it...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Linkaday wrote:Sorry to barge in "de Köl(l)sche Stimmung", Don - Alaaf!

..\IZArc\IZArc.exe as well as ?:\Apps\Fileman\IZArc\IZArc.exe

whereas ?:\Apps\Fileman\XY\Docs\Here is scripting.txt works.

Thanks for wonders :!:
:oops: Damn it -- the "peinlich, peinlich" is definitely on my side! :oops:

You were absolutely right! There was a bug here with *.exe items. Their relative/portable path was simply not resolved at all.

Cantello

Post by Cantello »

admin wrote: But I have to confirm: there is indeed a problem with relative paths. Just fixing it...
That's good to hear - not that there is a problem but that a fix is on the way! :-)