Raw View Locking Files with Office 2010 files (Win 10)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
avsfan

Raw View Locking Files with Office 2010 files (Win 10)

Post by avsfan »

I recently got a new computer with Windows 10 on it, and have noticed a couple of odd behaviors, particularly with Excel 2010 and Word 2010 when XY's Info Panel is in Raw View mode.

Situation: I have a .xlsx file open in Excel. If the file is selected in XY (such as if I just opened it) and I try to save in Excel:
  • If the file is on a network drive, I get an error message that the file is in use and I should try again later. If I change the view to Preview (or any other tab in the Info Panel), or even just clear the selection by clicking elsewhere in the list, I can save the file as expected.
  • If the file is on a local drive, I get an error message (after a long delay) that my changes could not be saved because of a sharing violation (and it's not being shared).
In Word, things are a bit different, but still have issues when I try to save:
  • Network drive: sometimes it will save, but takes much longer to save when XY is in Raw View than another mode, and sometimes I get a message in XY that Raw View Failed because "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
  • Local drive: The "Save As..." dialog opens when XY is in Raw View on the selected file...
Weird stuff!

I can't remember having this problem under Windows 7, and expected more of a problem with, for example, Preview rather than Raw View...

Any idea why this would happen? (using XY 20.60.0404)

avsfan

Re: Raw View Locking Files with Office 2010 files (Win 10)

Post by avsfan »

I have worked around the issue by just excluding the Office files from Raw View, but I'm still curious why it was happening...

admin
Site Admin

Re: Raw View Locking Files with Office 2010 files (Win 10)

Post by admin »

Raw View in Hex mode definitely locks a file.

Other than that I can only say. Office has always been strange. It's in its genes...