XYPlorer Fails to Open on Top of Other Windows Occasionally

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
houkdr1

XYPlorer Fails to Open on Top of Other Windows Occasionally

Post by houkdr1 »

This is a random problem that happens about 25% of the time I open XYPlorer. If it is not running, I click the icon on my Windows 10 taskbar. I can see from the change to the icon that XYPlorer launched, but it does not open over top of the other windows I have open. Instead, it seems to have started minimized. If I click the icon again, it properly launches. It's done this for at least a year for me, but never really bothered to report it because it's not a big deal, just a slight inconvenience.

Launching it multiple times in a row after it does this does not reproduce it. It only seems to happen if it has not be run for a while, or maybe some other condition on the PC causes this.

No other apps on the computer exhibit this behavior.

Thanks for the awesome product, as always.

admin
Site Admin

Re: XYPlorer Fails to Open on Top of Other Windows Occasionally

Post by admin »

Strange. But generally it's Windows's job to get XY in front. I don't see what I could do about it inside XY.

You say "it seems to have started minimized". You are not sure?

houkdr1

Post by houkdr1 »

What I meant by "seems" is that I am not sure if it's actually minimized as it would be by clicking the minimize function or not. All I know is that when I launch it, it runs as a process, but doesn't display. I would think this as a Windows issue too, except that no other program behaves like this for me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I'll watch it.

houkdr1

Post by houkdr1 »

I would still love for this to get fixed. Clicking to open a program and not having it show up makes me sometimes prefer Windows Explorer, and I really don't want to do that!

highend

Post by highend »

Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | [x] No network browsing on startup
is checked?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is for sure one of the things that will just auto-fix with the 64-bit edition.

kger

Post by kger »

I just assumed (maybe wrongly?) that this was because XYPlorer was not at the top of the Z-order when it was closed. (Often, XYPlorer is only closed for me when I reboot or log off.) I thought, "How smart of it to keep track of that."

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh yes, I should have said that. :wink:

houkdr1

Post by houkdr1 »

Hi! This is still an issue for me. The unreliableness of this throws off my workflow such that I find myself using Windows Explorer because I know when I click the button, it will open, and I won't have to hunt for XYPlorer on any one of my 4 screens. Any chance this could get some attention?

highend

Post by highend »

Menu - Help - Hold CTRL and click "Various Information"

Post the screenshot...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I frequently encounter this problem, not with the main XYplorer window, but with the Xcopy progress popups and confirmation prompts. Sometimes, interaction in the main XYplorer window is not working right because there's an unanswered confirmation prompt hidden behind other windows. Both the popups and prompts come up behind other windows from the start, in these situations.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you can give me the steps (and related configuration) to reproduce it I can look into it.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote: 16 Feb 2021 17:52 If you can give me the steps (and related configuration) to reproduce it I can look into it.
Ah, that's the trick of the problem. It's not reproducible, at least so far. Occurs just now and then.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I assume this is ticked: Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing ?

Try to untick it.