Monitors with different DPI settings

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
FCrane

Monitors with different DPI settings

Post by FCrane »

Hi!

XYplorer does not handle monitors with different DPI settings correctly! E.g. if I have my primary monitor scaled to 100% and another monitor with e.g. 150%, all XYPlorer windows will be much too small on the second monitor! Seems as if XYPlorer always uses the DPI scaling of the primary monitor - this makes it unusable on multi-monitor systems with mixed DPI settings!

Also, moving a window from one display to another with different DPI scaling doesn't work either, of course... The program needs to handle the WM_DPICHANGED message and use the DPI_AWARENESS_CONTEXT_PER_MONITOR_AWARE_V2!

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ss-context

Regards!

MBaas

Re: Monitors with different DPI settings

Post by MBaas »

This has been discussed before - some ppl have problems, some are happy - and it's not sure why this is...

(And funny enough: while I'm perfectly happy with XYplorer's behaviour, I seem to be the only user (of a totally different app) that complains about scaling issues - whereas everyone else is happy...)

moguiyu

Post by moguiyu »

i have same issue, the problem for system scale over ride is the office files open by xyplorer will be scaled wrongly.
there must be some error in handling files.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's complicated, and Windows has its role in the mess.

But it's on my list. I'll look into it.

tfrost

Post by tfrost »

It's a shame that full Per-Monitor-v2 DPI support seems to have been on the wanted list for so long. It's the only thing holding me back from committing to a perpetual license.

I understand that it is very hard to implement support across a complex visual application for Monitor DPI change events from Windows; I have to work on this in my own applications, without the added hardship of using VB6. With the tweak to suppress scaling that I found elsewhere in the forum, XYplorer is almost useable, but not quite. The problem is that when you use the overrides in application properties to have Windows do the scaling instead, Windows always reports the monitor DPI as 96 to the application. And when you spawn an Office application (and some others), Office is stupid enough to use the DPI of its parent to set font and Excel line-height incorrectly, which results in distorted results. So I have to avoid double clicking on an XLSX or DOC file in XYplorer to open it, which is extremely annoying.

One solution might be to make LibreOffice my default for Office documents (it does not make the same mistake), but sadly I often have to work with the real Office applications for testing our own apps. My chosen solution was to write a trivial application, with a PerMonitorV2 manifest, which checks the file extension of its command-line parameter and explicitly calls Excel.exe, Winword.exe or Powerpnt.exe, passing the same parameter. If I make this application my default for opening the Office documents, it opens the Office application as a child process whose parent does not run with the settings that misreport the DPI, and the document is displayed correctly. I will try using this until my XYplorer trial nears its end, and it should be enough to persuade me to buy. But it is still a kludge which I hope XYplorer will render unnecessary very soon.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's on my list.

BTW, have you seen this?: viewtopic.php?p=175136#p175136

tfrost

Post by tfrost »

Yes, I had tried that and also read the post at that link. But as I said, that simply tells Windows to report the window DPI as 96, and does the scaling for you. And that is what causes Office and several other applications to misbehave when started from XYplorer. XYplorer itself looks OK because Windows does the work; but using it in the real world to double-click an XLSX file to open it may result in an usable application, for example Excel with huge row spacing and tiny text. It's this that means I have to keep a rival application around and use it for some purposes, or resort to another workaround. Very frustrating when your product is so much better.