Preview video on Nvidia video cards

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
zakoul

Preview video on Nvidia video cards

Post by zakoul »

Hey. A GTX560Ti graphics card with 391.35 drivers was installed and everything worked fine. I changed the video card on the GTX1060 with 441.66 drivers and in XYplorer the video preview stopped working, only the sound is played. Is there any way to solve this problem?

P.S. Windows 10x64, K-Lite Codec Pack 15.2.6.

zakoul

Re: Preview video on Nvidia video cards

Post by zakoul »

I contacted nvidia technical support and they said that the problem was in XYplorer

belushi

Post by belushi »

Same problem,
I replaced the Radeon R7 with the GeForce GTX 1060 3gb, installed the 430.86 driver and the video preview didn't work. Audio works.
I have installed various versions of XYplorer and none of them is doing video previews.
What should I do?

belushi

Post by belushi »

Please, is there any solution? :cry:

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Hi and welcome,

I don't have a NVidia video card, so can't reproduce. On Intel on-board graphics, preview mostly works for me (some files give an Automation Error, may be codec related).

Some quick questions:
1. How do you preview: through the Preview Pane or the Info Panel?
2. Do you see any error messages like Automation Error?
3. Which file formats do you use and if more than one, do all not work?
3. Does running a fresh config make any difference?

zakoul

Post by zakoul »

The problem is observed with NVidia video cards with drivers older than 391.35 on any video format in the preview panel and in the info panel.
This issue has already been discussed earlier viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19230&p=161271&hilit=nvidia#p160860 but there is no solution.
How to turn off hardware acceleration in Xyplorer is not known.
For now, the only way out is to install the old 391.35 drivers.
If the problem is really in the NVidia drivers, then the Xyplorer developer could contact NVidia technical support and solve this problem.

belushi

Post by belushi »

I installed the old driver 391.35.
Video preview works. That's what I needed.
Thanks a lot.
:lol:

zakoul

Post by zakoul »

But having old drivers in the modern world is not entirely correct. Many applications and games require a new version of the video driver, and XYplorer does not work with them.
Hope that the XYplorer developer will solve this problem.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

It seems that Nvidia introduced something in the new driver that doesn't work well with XY, yet you take Nvidia's support reply for real and seem happy to blame XY for the problem.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

nVidia enables all kinds of quirks for games...I suspect enabling a backwards driver compatibility mode for an application is probably a trivial thing for them to do - if they're willing. Probably just a line in a file somewhere - possibly user accessible for all I know. Might be worth a developer contact?

zakoul

Post by zakoul »

Dustydog wrote: 05 Jan 2020 02:00 Might be worth a developer contact?
I do not speak English, I use google translator. It’s not clear what kind of developer are you talking about? Developer XYplorer or Nvidia?
Unfortunately, the XYplorer developer is not responding to anything in this thread.
The problem is observed only on Nvidia video cards and only on Windows 10. In Windows 7, everything is fine with the latest drivers.
Or maybe it's not the Nvidia drivers at all?
Well, if it's still Nvidia, then the XYplorer developer could contact the Nvidia developers, Nvidia has a forum.

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

I meant a developer-to-developers contact. Our High Lord and Defender would likely have enough clout to at least get them to listen politely. Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Regarding lack of contact in this exact thread: Though he has to delegate some of his work - like forum questions sometimes - I've found Don to be one of the most gracious, conscientious developers I've ever had the pleasure to interact with. He does about all one busy man can do.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've read it, but currently there's no time for it.

zakoul

Post by zakoul »

Any news on this issue? Windows 10x64 + GTX10xx + XYplorer.
I again decided to set up video preview in XYplorer.
And here's what I found: if the XYplorer is launched for the first time on a fresh system, then the video preview works until I move it to another screen or minimize the XYplorer to the tray. After that, the video preview does not work. The reason for this is an entry in the registry:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D\Shims\EnableOverlays\C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe = 1
If you delete this entry, then after restarting the XYplorer, the video preview works again. Maybe this will help solve the problem?

zakoul

Post by zakoul »

How can I make the xyplorer launch a reg file when it starts or when it exits, which would make changes to the registry?
I'm tired of manually deleting the registry value so that the video preview works in the xyplorer.